1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Mac Deletion Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

norton wipe took care of "hidden trash" back in the day. with OSX, i don't know.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm not a Mac geek, but I believe the Mac has two different options, "Empty trash" which means the files are somewhere, and "secure empty trash" which totally kills them. Am I right on this?

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yes. Although, I've never used the Secure Empty Trash because even in the tech world I'm pack rat.

4. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

I think the Secure Empty Trash not only deletes the file names, but it writes over the information. It be gone.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Correct.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I was excited to see this thread, because I thought it might answer a question I have, but it does not, so I will ask it:

With AppleWorks, how do you delete files that in your documents folder? If it's on my desktop, I can just drag it to the trash. But I seriously have stories that are four years old in my documents, because I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

Suggestions will be accepted with the requisite shame.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You mean in a documents folder? Drag 'em to the trash.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i thought he could have been talking about documents in recent items in the apple menu.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

No, I'm talking about in my plain old Documents folder in AppleWorks. I've tried dragging them, but it doesn't work. I can open them, they're there, but I can't get them out of the folder. It's weird.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hence your original reference to appleworks and not the apple menu? god, sorry about that.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Hey, TP, no worries. I'm glad you took the time to take a shot at it. In the meantime, I've got four years of horsepucky weighing down my Mac. It's starting to wheeze.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you post OSX or pre?

Draft saved Draft deleted