1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Grammar Question for the Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jul 8, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I realize I now have zero credibility in this area, but I would have said 'Data is....'

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of the first things I learned:

Data are
    Media are

But why is it "Jury is"

It's goofy and sounds weird. Kind of like the dreaded argument of "Heat is/are" "Jazz is/are"

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Depends on if you look at data as multiple individual items, or as a group. Group is, items are.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

"Style" is "style." It's one way or the other and be consistent about it.

I side with "Data are" but I also side with "Heat is" and "Jazz is."

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The team is/The Patriots are staying at an undisclosed hotel.
    The jury is/The jurors are sequestered at an undisclosed hotel.

Unless you're British. ;)

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The same argument could be had over "staff". I've seen "the staff is" and "the staff are" an equal amount of times.

Personally, I think "data is" and "staff is" sounds better. I guess my mind registers those words as singular.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I think it sounds dumb to say, "the Thunder is ..." "The Heat is ..." They are TEAMS. TEAMS of PEOPLE.

You wouldn't say, "the Lakers is ..." so why say "the Thunder is ..."?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

As far as team names, it's a style thing not worth losing sleep over. As long as people at my paper follow the paper's stylebook (a style I disagree with, BTW), I'm fine.

At one place there was a high school named after a cardinal named Gibbons and the repetitive desk joke was "gibbons are." Would be so cool if the school mascot were a monkey, but it isn't.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Technically, Thunder is would be correct grammar, but our style is to go with Thunder are, treating it as a collective team. Like Frank says, depends on paper's style. Our competition uses the grammatically correct version.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As for the original question, him and me. Since everyone else has chimed in.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Next question:

"He was wired completely different" or "differently."

I know I am right on this, need confirmation before I stab copyeditor. No offense to any copyeditors.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Differently. It modifies "wired" not "he."

Draft saved Draft deleted