1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STUNNER: Pluto leaving ABJ for PD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Aug 14, 2007.

1. 20questions

20questions Guest

Don't think they're promoting from within for this one. Ocker is too close to retirement, Windhorst owns the Cavs and Ridenour has the best gig going (golf, Browns, OSU). If anyone, it's McManamon, but I don't see that, either. Good beat guy, don't see him as a columnist. It's coming from the outside. But if Reed turns them down, then who?

2. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Pat will be the new columnist, unless he turns them down. He was an original layoff before being brought back.

3. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Maybe someone is reading a different Bill Livingston, but the one I know writes with erudition, grace and boldness. Long before the Browns left for Baltimore, I recall a column in which he referred to Art Modell as a "career knucklehead.'' On Christmas Day.

Moreover, his opinions are not the result of a shallow reflex, but thorough study. We were sitting at the Rose Bowl during the 1994 World Cup when a partial score was announced: ""Italy 1, Nigeria 1.''

Livingston: ""Nigeria could win that game.''
    Me: "Huh?''

Bill's a friend, and a talent, and I can only hope those who would describe him uncharitably choose their words half as carefully and as well as he does.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Reed was on the cutting block the last two times there was layoff talk. Plus, if he goes back to Akron, he automatically under guild rules goes back zero seniority. And lest we forget, McManamon was number one on the cutting block this time last year because his time went to zero when he left the paper for awhile to work for the Browns on their website. If he's getting one of the Blue Jackets gigs at The Dispatch, good for him

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Having grown up in Cleveland, we all know Pluto is a great writer and an even better human being. His name is synonimous with excellence.

That said, this is a troubling move by the Plain Dealer. They now have three over 50 white male columnist who see the world and sports pretty much the same. How does that serve the readership in Cleveland?

Cleveland deserves better, the city deserves voices that are diverse enough to reflect the community. Pluto essentially replaces Roger Brown, whose voice was different than than Shaw and Livingston and has been missed since he took the buyout.

I love Terry but I hate this move. We wonder why people are no longer reading.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe because the majority of the PD readers are over-50 white males?
    Let's hear it for a paper that still is trying to serve its actual customers, rather than chasing folks who don't and probably won't ever buy the newspaper.
    The day my favorite brewery starts ignoring me and making swill that MIGHT appeal to wine drinkers is the day it loses me, with no assurance that the wine drinker will ever take my place.

7. As a longtime PD reader, I wholeheartedly agree.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Reed left for The Dispatch (3x as big), he's not coming back. McManamon wants the columnist gig. Marla takes the Browns full-time, George Thomas takes over OSU, "new" person plugs the preps hole. The paper could save about $40K per year by essentially replacing Pluto with an entry level reporter. What do you think they'll do?
    Interesting comment about the PD's 3 columnists all sharing a voice. I doubt that thought was floated. The PD probably looked at Akron's ravaged sports staff and figured they could wreck the Beacon with this move. They're pretty much right. If they made a similar move on Windhorst you could hear taps.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Taps started playing for this paper a long, long time ago. Sorry, but I never thought Pluto was anything special. Seemed to phone it in more often than not. I always found the combination of faith and sports columns an interesting and mildly ironic mix, judging athletes in one while writing about not judging our fellow man in the other. Whatever. More power to him.

10. 20questions

20questions Guest

Marla didn't want the Browns full time when Pat left the first time. What makes you think she wants it full time now? George won't go full time OSU, either. He's not even full time sports. If Marla does choose (forced) to go to Browns full time, they'll have to find someone else to do OSU. George isn't a sports guy.

p.s. Don't be so quick to dismiss Reed. I don't think his house in Warren has sold yet and his wife didn't want to leave in the first place. That's why he stayed so long. The opportunity to come back may outweigh circulation sizes.

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Joe Williams,

I hate saying this, but you are true idiot. I bet you when the Plain Dealer sales its ads it takes advantage of the African-American demographic, as well as others. White males over 50 aren't who the advertisers are trying to reach. Remember that!

Also, don't know if you are journalist or not, but the charge of any good newspaper is to be reflective the community it covers. The Plain Dealer once again comes up way short, Dude!

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hate saying this, but you didn't proofread your post, Dude! There's an article missing.

HTH.

Sells, not sales, btw.

HTH^2.

Draft saved Draft deleted