1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study suggests depression is being overdiagnosed on a remarkable scale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Victims of doctors and big Pharma?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

BOOTSTRAPS!!!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This should not be overlooked.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This thread has me really depressed. Can I get some happy pills?

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with clinical depression, but I can't take pills. They make me hallucinate.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

“Plomox is the most effective anti-arrhythmic drug on the market right now. And it has minimal side-effects: Only nausea, impotence, and anal leakage.”

“I'm getting two out of three just from the conversation.”

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I will take the overprescribing of antidepression medicine any day over how we used to treat mental illness.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am no way qualified to diagnose anything, but this shit drives me absolutely crazy (no pun intended). Big Pharma pushes this shit on people through the doctors and insurance companies. They make billions while a good portion of the population spends most of their hours, both awake and asleep, doped to the gills. It's bad enough when adults are given a mind numbing cocktail, but it truly infuriates me when people do this to their children just to stop them from being kids.

There are many people who have legitimate problems, and they can can truly be helped by these drugs. There are many more who just need to nut up. It's these people who are falling victim to predatory money grubbers that don't give a shit about the people they are supposed "helping."

Has anyone read "Brave New World"? That's pretty much the way of the world today. We'll keep 'em doped up distracted with inane entertainment so they won't notice the world is going to shit around them.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The other condition that is over-diagnosed -- and it may be more than depression. The biggest hoax perpetrated on the public, especially parents, is ADD for kids. There is no ADD. There never has been. 30 years ago, ADD was merely a kid being somewhat hyper or rambunctious. The ADD and the tons of ritalin, etc. that follow is an invention of the teaching industry (mainly female teachers) who don't want to actually do their jobs and deal with a class of different personalities. Instead, they want to medicate (the boys mostly) until they're little zombies. Ritalin is their baby-sitter.

Rant over. Call me paranoid. Maybe that's over-diagnosed.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I blame vegans.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

By completely ignoring it and making people who suffer from it feel like total outcasts?

Yeah me too.

Draft saved Draft deleted