1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: NBA Refs are racist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 2, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Given the fact that the NBA is facially guilty of defacto racial discrimination, 80-90% black in a country where blacks are 13% of the population, and given the fact that minorities usually have to be twice as good as the majority to get the same job,(in this case white players need to be better just to get in the door) isn't it fair to then assume that white players, being better, commit less fouls?

Or, is it possible that where the white players are the obvious minority, they are less likely to be the aggressors, therefore committ less fouls.

AND therfore, it is the black referees which are carrying out a racial vendetta against the white players.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

I think he's calling for REFarations.

3. Hey, here's what I'm going to do.
    Read it and wait for what the peer-review shows.

4. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Just curious--what about the study is stupid? Agree with it or not, the quantitative methodology looks pretty solid.

I agree with FB, also--the peer review will say a lot...well, sorta. The back-scratching in that game is mindblowing.

A paper with a sexy topic--as sexy as things get in economics, mind you--written by a Wharton professor will be in someone's journal. Steve Levitt's gotten famous on the basis of work waaaay shakier than this.

5. chester

chester Member

What's stupid is, instead of breaking it down by official, it just apparently looked at the box scores to see who the officials were and went from there.

6. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Limited? Yes. Stupid? No.

Think about it--the NBA wouldn't let the Times see their data. You think they were going to give it to some professors? Chances are this was the best they had to work with.

This ain't flawless, but it's far from foolish.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Now picketing at the NBA playoffs....

[​IMG]

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

There are too many black-on-black fouls taking place these days.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Last nights game proved this. Nice time for the NyTimes to bring this forward.

Golded State was CHEATED!

10. boots

boots New Member

The leaguye is 85 percent black. Of course Ref's are going to blow more whistles against black players. It was a nothing study as far as I'm concerned.

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Boots, you're making yourself look like a fool (yet again) with that comment. Try reading the actual study if you can comprehend it. It's methodology plainly takes into account and adjusts for the overall proportion factor. You really think the guys at Wharton would think that simplistically and make such an obvious error? You really they just counted the total number of fouls for each race without making any statistical adjustments for overall percentages? That's embarrassing if you do. There are legitimate non-discriminatory factors which might explain the studies results and why they are flawed or misleading, but the "85 percent" thing is not one of em.

12. boots

boots New Member

I don't agree. If that's foolish in your eyes, then so be it. I have a right to my opinion as you have a right to yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted