1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Study: Bisexual women are in a class of their own

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Proof that God is a man ... or a lesbian. Either way, good news:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/email/idUKN166170720080117

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Bisexuality in women is not an experimental or transitional phase on the way to lesbianism but a distinct sexual orientation, according to a new study.

Researchers who studied 79 non-heterosexual women over the course of a decade found bisexual women remained attracted to both men and women throughout that time.

"This is the first research that's really followed bisexual women for such a long period of time and it really, I think, puts to rest the notion that this is a transitional stage," said University of Utah psychologist Lisa Diamond, who conducted the study published in the journal Developmental Psychology.

"Because if it were, it should have resolved over a 10-year period. And instead you find that those patterns of nonexclusive desire are pretty stable. The women might change their relationships, they might change the way they identify, but that basic pattern of desire pretty much sticks with them."

Diamond interviewed women who were between the ages of 18 and 25 when the study began and who identified themselves as lesbian, bisexual or unlabeled.

She found that bisexual and unlabeled women were more likely than lesbians to switch their sexual identities, but tended to move between bisexual and unlabeled, rather than settling on lesbian or heterosexual as their orientations.

Although 17 percent of the respondents moved from bisexual or unlabeled to heterosexual during the study, more than half switched back to bisexual or unlabeled by its conclusion.

"Despite our modern day and age it's amazing how persistent some of the negative stereotypes about bisexuality have been. There are still even some researchers, as well as lay people, who are not really sure that it really exists, who have viewed it as a transitional state on the way to lesbianism, or viewed it as just something that some confused heterosexuals will claim about themselves," Diamond explained in an interview.

The research also claims to debunk the popular stereotype that bisexual women are unable or unwilling to commit to long-term (more than a year in length), monogamous relationships.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Very interesting study. In the gay community, I'd say there's sort of a stigma surrounding bisexuals.

Some people see them as people in transition to being gay/lesbian, and others see them as not quite as brave/bold gays/lesbians. There are others who have no problem with them liking both, and I fall under that one.

Around the time I first came out, I was at a college party with a few bisexuals at it. The girl I asked about it, who it turned out was Kansas' governors' niece, explained it to me. She said she was attracted to personalities rather than appearances and would date someone regardless of gender. It made sense to me, so I've maintained that mindset despite some of the less open ones I've encountered.

And I have no problem with guys who like seeing two girls together. But if/when you think of that, think of how hypocritical this country is when two girls together is seen as an ultimate fantasy while two guys being together is an abomination.

3. HOOPER
    Lesbian chic. It’s oh-so acceptable to be a gay girl nowadays. People
    think it’s cute, because they’ve got
    this fool picture in their heads about
    lipstick lesbians - like they all
    resemble Alyssa - while most of them
    look more like you.

HOLDEN
    Do I detect a little inter-subculture
    cattiness?

HOOPER
    Gay or straight - ugly’s still ugly.
    And most of those boys are scary.

Personally, I never got too excited about girls making out at a party. I always thought it was because they were wanting attention or there was a camera around - more of a sign of insecurity than anything else.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've had several discussions on this topic with my girlfriend. I totally understand how a woman could be a lesbian. Women are just generally much more beautiful creatures. Their figures, their lack of body hair, their soft skin ... women are beautiful.

Men, on the other hand ... eww ... gross.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Beat me to the punch, my friend.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about how bisexual women are more likely to be multi-orgasmic and/or squirters. Maybe I should get a grant to conduct a study of that sort.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got $19 in my wallet to help you with the funding.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Best Dennis Miller line ever...
    Bisexuals are the greediest motherfuckers on the planet.
    Pick a hole.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You are the first man I've slept with since I left Hanrahan.

Oh, Suzanne. A beautiful woman like you?

I've been sleeping with women.

Are you shocked?

No.

Did you ever wanna sleep with a man?

- No. - Never?

No.

I don't blame you, though, Suzanne. You see, women's bodies are beautiful.

But men's bodies, I see 'em everywhere. Locker rooms, cocks all over the place...

- Do you wanna know how it happened? - No, that's OK.

No, that's all right. Cos I have to tell it in court anyway.

See, every time Hanrahan went out on the road,

I would go over to this wife's house, and we would get drunk,

and we would talk about how depressed and lonely we were without the guys.

Every week, blah, blah, blah.

Then, one night, we were talking about how we hated the life,

and how we had never done much of anything ourselves.

And I don't know why, really...

We were like kids. We started playing with one another.

We were drunk, as usual.

The next week we did it sober, and it was terrific.

At the end of the day, I think about women. I think about women's bodies.

Maybe it'll change, and I'll wind up sleeping with old goalies.

Things being what they are, who knows?

When Hanrahan found out about it, he went crazy.

He said if I was a dyke, that made him a queer.

He started slapping me around. I ended up in the hospital.

- Oh, Jesus. - Yeah. I'm on the lam. I'm hiding out.

We play him next week, you know.

Oh, God. I'm so sick of those games. They seem so childish.

The Chiefs are folding.

The mil"s closing, and the economy and stuff.

I just found out about it tonight.

I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Christ. A handsome man like you, Reggie?

It ain't easy. I don't see myself in one of those bullshit nine-to-five jobs.

- Well, you could get traded. - Suzanne, I ain't a rookie any more.

So far as the coaching goes, you know, the Chiefs are...

Hey. Use your imagination. It's what I've been doing.

Oh, look at me! Here I am, a no-good runaway hockey wife.

A dyke.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's a few lines from Slapshot that probably belong on this thread. Let me see if I can find them for you guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted