1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Studio 60 (12/4)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If Weber did go to the writers, I can assume it probably came after the episode where he challenged Danny to a fight. That seems lightyears ago.

2. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

I was worried the musical number would seem forced or would appear lame. It was a pretty powerful few minutes of television, and it seemed like I actually experienced the characters going through the emotional wringer. Great, great episode.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Fantastic episode. I had tears in my eyes during the music and I laughed really hard at the Santa/Dateline scene. I also got very excited and happy when Matt kissed Harriet. I have always enjoyed the show but tonight was one of the best, if not the best, episode so far.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

With Christmas and New Year's both falling on Mondays, Jan. 8 sounds like a safe bet for the show's return.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll join the euphoric chorus here as I just watched the show. Best epsiode by far. And I'll say it was one of Sorkin's best TV works period.

I didn't get the goose bumps or tears during O Holy Night, but it was very compelling. I could see why others did.

The Dateline To Catch a Predator skit was extremely funny. As was Cal's attempt to break open a coconut.

Weber's character isn't getting softer. It's getting more depth. It started with Nevada Day and is continuing. I hated Jack in the first few episodes, now I'm starting to like him.

And who didn't see Lou Grant in Ed Asner?

Tremendous epsiode. Glad they're re-airing it in two weeks. I'll watch it then as well.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Aaron Sorkin can flat write a "chill bumps...Tearjerk" christmas episode.

He got me with several of the West Wing xmas episodes.

And again with this one. I was fine right up until the last note, when the studio audience jumped to thier feet and then it got dusty in my family room.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hopefully the show will gain some momentum... I'll be very pissed if it doesn't get a second season...

8. Absolutely agree. Best episode so far. No surprise though. The Christmas episodes of The West Wing were always top-notch. Whiffenpoofs, Josh's breakdown ... this one rates right them with them. And Asner was priceless.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Anybody ever figure out if the song got put on iTunes?

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Allow me to be the lone dissenter, then, because after having seen each episode to this point, this one was the one that left me thinking, "what the hell did I miss?"

They're still dealing with the Macao thing like it's normal in the storyline, but Jordan appears to be REALLY pregnant. It just seemed like some stories were on fast forward, while others were at the normal pace. Meanwhile, there appears to be a new writer, but someone they haven't introduced yet.

So yeah, I thought it was shoddy writing. And I wasn't moved by the jazz musicians. Were they good? Absolutely. But it certainly didn't give me goosebumps or tears or anything. Sorkin's a good writer (I really enjoyed Sports Night, and got into TWW later in its run), but I just felt like this episode was a big F-You to all 10 of us who have watched the show week in and week out.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Are you talking about McKinney, who was brought in and "introduced" an episode or two ago?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

zizzer, you are not alone.

Maybe it's because I'm a grinch, but this was the worst episode they have done in my opinion. It seemed so heavy handed and preachy at times. The FCC story line seemed ridiculous to me. Maybe it would actually happen like that, but I doubt it. Television Without Pity had a great line about the New Orleans thing:

"There's a tacked-on feel-good plot about New Orleans jazz musicians that made your recapper feel really bad for rolling his eyes at it."

Pretty much how I felt, but I'm a heartless bastard so...

Draft saved Draft deleted