1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 6, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Show support for the state? Yes. Show support for the state's senator's political views? I'd like a citation please, yes.

Do you honestly believe, in any way, that this is what was happening here? If you do, my opinion of you as a reasonable person is severely strained.

I think the more likely explanation is that you are attempting some severe quasilogical handwaving to try to come up with technical but irrelevant examples to try to draw parallels to this case where there are none. Just like my naked religion example.

2. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

Look, I'm the one that said the ACLU needs to butt out. And I meant it. I don't see any real First Amendment issues here that anyone except a wildly activist judge would countenance.

My point was that state actors must tread lightly when they start dictating the content of people's speech, even something as seemingly mundane as support for an athletic team.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

I may hate red.

But if the school uniform is red, I wear it.

I may hate the Saints (or just love the Colts).

But if the school uniform for THAT DAY was black and gold, then I wear black and gold. Or just the same uniform I wear every other day.

I'm sure not every kid in school was necessarily a Saints fan (or even a football fan). But that doesn't mean they all had the license to wear whatever they wanted.

4. No, they didn't. But the principal should have been cool about it. The kid came and asked ahead of time. He tried to be conscientious. He probably didn't dream he'd get turn down.

That said, he shouldn't have worn the jersey.

Two idiots in this case, each culpable for their own reasons. Four, really, if you include the kid's parents.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That principal is a humorless idiot without an ounce of common sense, plain and simple. To make an issue of the kid choosing to wear a blue jersey instead of B & G on that day is miles beyond absurd.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh please, the SCHOOL already decided to deviate from those for one day when it allowed them to wear Saints football jerseys on the false assumption that every kid there was a Saints fan. Well, one kid happened to be a Colts fan from Indy, so he wore that jersey instead. Big frickin deal.

The school's deviation was a lighthearted thing for fun, so was the kid's. Yeah, maybe it did violate the letter of the rule, but to make an issue of it is imbecilic.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This reminds me a lot of the haircut thread.

It's stupid that it's become a big issue, and both sides had chances along the way to let it go and move on, but neither chose to do that.

8. Re: Student says he was sent home for wearing Colts jersey in Louisiana classroo

If you want to make sure that your school makes national news, just send a kid home for wearing a rival team's jersey. It seems like one of these idiotic stories pops up once every few months, and the facts are almost always exactly the same.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Love how the kid wore a Joseph Addai jersey. Got to admit, wearing the jersey of an LSU star was a nice a touch, a compromise of sorts.

The kid shouldn't have been sent home, and the principal shouldn't have told the kid that if he liked Indiana so much, he should go back. If our work has Hawaiian shirt Friday, I'm not going to be sent home if I don't participate.

That said, he should have had the uniform on him when/if the school approached him and said he couldn't wear the jersey. He could have made his point, then switched out.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My kids were still in Catholic school when there White Sox days during the 2005 World Series. Some kids showed up in Cubs gear. No one was sent home. No distraction.

If the principal thought expressing Colts fandom was a distraction, he should have required tape over the kid's mouth, because I'm sure he's already expressed his fandom before.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, give credit to the kid for at least wearing the jersey of a guy with a Louisiana connection.

I'll also presume this ex-pat Hoosiers aren't Purdue grads who have provided him with a large black-and-gold T-shirt wardrobe.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And people wonder why schools are turning out mindless sheep.

Good for the kid showing up in his Colts jersey although it would have been cooler to adhere to the black and gold day by wearing a Penguins jersey.

And that hick principal should be assigned to the janitorial staff. He's clearly not up to fulfilling his educational responsibilities.

Draft saved Draft deleted