1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student punished for saying, "bless you," to sneeze

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Some of the reports say she was "suspended," but apparently she was just sent to the principal's office for the rest of that class period. There seems to be some dispute about whether it was the religious content of her words that got her into hot water, or just the fact that she shouted it across the room, which the teacher considered a distraction.

The Tennesseean focuses on the distraction angle:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/08/20/tennessee-teen-in-trouble-for-saying-bless-you-after-sneeze/14366865/

Here the girl says that the teacher said, "We will not have Godly speaking in our class."

http://ktla.com/2014/08/20/student-suspended-for-saying-bless-you-after-classmate-sneezed/

Hard to know what to believe.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

HEY, SHUT UP, YOU ASSHOLES!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Time to go the Seinfeldian Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeILe2dXaBE

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Teacher sounds like a fucking idiot.

Even if she had said, God, bless you, it's simple manners, and any person with an IQ over 50 should know when to do something about it and when not to.

Obviously, this is not the norm. But it's these extreme cases that make teachers as a whole look like idiots.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, unless the kid shouted it across the room in an attempt to be disruptive/funny.

There was a local story the other day about a 24-hour diner -- in a very gay friendly neighborhood, that draws a big portion of its customer base from the LGBT community -- being accused of refusing entry to some people in drag.

But, this diner is in an area heavy with bars, and tries to keep out loud, disruptive drunks. The incident happened in the overnight hours, and the diner says the group was loud, drunk, and had engaged in a shouting match on the street right before they tried to enter the diner.

The group admits to the shouting match.

But, they claim this gay friendly restaurant denied them entry based on their dress/sexual orientation, and are urging the LGBT community to boycott.

Now, if a restaurant in a gay friendly neighborhood -- or really any neighborhood -- really is discriminating against the LGBT community, then they don't deserve community support.

But, sometimes people are reacting to you being an asshole.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More martyr-persecution bullshit from the holy rollers.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I heard about it because this morning my aunt - a holy roller herself - was regaling me with this tale about how a "girl from Alabama" was "expelled from school" for "saying 'bless you' when someone sneezed."

She said her "pastor talked about it in his sermon on Sunday," and that, "it was on CNN."

9. Starman

I am sure Christians are just relentlessly persecuted in the heathen pagan mooslim outposts of Dyersburg, Tenn. and rural Alabama.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Hell, I'm an atheist and I say "bless you" when someone sneezes

11. Starman

I've been saying, "blast you" for years, and no one has ever noticed.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I yell "Stop it!" Everyone thinks I'm an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted