1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuck cursor on laptop -- HELP (again)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Birdscribe, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I got such prompt service from SportsJournalists.com Nation on my iPod issue, I figured I'd try this again.

My wife was using my laptop the other day and reported a frozen cursor. Things like this only happen when someone else is using computers; my desktop hard drive crashed when I was on the road, my wife's had printer issues when I've been on the road, etc.

How do you unfreeze the cursor on the touchpad? Is there some kind of button/command that does this? Or am I relegated to buying a wireless mouse? ??? ???

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I usually just hit the touch pad really hard and it unsticks.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Lift that directly from the user manual? :D

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah. It's probably the reason my mouse sticks. :)

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Did you try putting it in the microwave?

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry...that was a bad one ;)

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It is a good reason as to why to never share your things, though.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This thread will not end well.

Always wanted to say that... except on a thread I start. :(

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How about if the enter key doesn't work anymore?

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Smalltaters, new (replacement) keyboards are a heck of a lot cheaper than new laptops, it's maybe a five-minute job to install, and I've been able to find one for every make of laptop I've ever used.

Birdscribe, I think they also make replacement touchpads, but I've (fortunately) never had to mess with one of them. Good luck.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Would I need a new mouse, too? The one on the keyboard works just fine.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If it's built into the middle of the keyboard, a replacement should have the same thing. But if you have a touchpad or pointer that's separate from the keypad itself, no worries. Pop the lid, take the old board out, connect the ribbon on the new one, put it into place, and you're good to go. I've had to do this for both the piece-o-crap CTX I used to have and the Gateway I'm using now.

[​IMG]
    Here's the (replacement) keyboard I'm typing on right now. Except that I got mine for a heck of a lot less than the $75 this place was asking...

Draft saved Draft deleted