1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

StubHub help needed, please.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I bought four Yankees tickets near the end of the season on StubHub, but I never received them. FedEx said they were delivered to my old apartment -- where I lived until the end of the month, including said delivery date -- but I never saw the envelope. My guess is they were delivered and stolen before I got home from work.

Nevertheless, I called StubHub and was told I needed to call within three days of delivery, otherwise I'm out of luck. And, obviously, I called after three days. StubHub told me it got in touch with the seller, and he, a season-ticket holder, couldn't get reprints of the tickets. Now, it seems I'm out $450 (four tickets at $100 with a fee).

What gets me more than anything is these were gifts for people who'd either never been to Yankee Stadium or haven't been in years.

Yeah, I should have acted quicker on this than I did. And I probably shouldn't have gone through StubHub to start. But that's done. Does anyone else have an experience that could possibly help my situation?

I appreciate the help.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I ordered Broadway tickets through StubHub, I had to provide ID and sign for them before they were handed over. I thought that was standard?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not in my case, apparently. I wish it were, though.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Call the Yankees ticket office. If someone tries to use those tickets, they can be arrested.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did you pay with a credit card? Perhaps you could dispute the charge, telling them StubHub didn't deliver a product as promised (maybe you'll have to "forget" about the calling after three days thing when you retell the story).

StubHub does run a tight ship. I was on the wrong end with them on a transaction once that was completely my fault, and though I was mad at myself I left pretty impressed at how they operated. The fees suck, but it's overall much more secure environment than eBay (your story excepted).

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The fees are utterly extortionate.

They think they're a cable company, or something.

Last resort.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If FedEx doesn't have your signature, then they didn't deliver them, right?

8. Ordered 4 football tix a couple years ago. Paid $120 each for $20 seats (yes, there are NFL tix that are that cheap, they were the last row of the end zone in the upper deck).
    Got the tix fast from a guy that had to be a season ticket holder, but I wasn't required to sign for them or anything.
    I'll prolly never use them again, only because they're overpriced. You're better at hitting up a scalper outside the stadium before the event.

Sorry for you luck Mike.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, except ... sometimes it's the only resort. Blame the teams, who allow it to happen.

Buying tickets for anything is a hassle these days. They're pricing regular folk out of attendance. I digress.

As for your deal, Mike, that sucks but stay persistent. Keep bugging them about it, and see if they'll come up with a solution. The fees are insane, but I've always been pleased with StubHub's customer service.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fuckabuncha StubHub.

I tried selling some extra tickets through that site. I posted them, got a buyer. I log in to my StubHub account and try to confirm the transaction. I get an error message. I call customer service and am told there's no record of the sale at all. They check my account and whoops, there was a transaction. I'm bumped from customer service to a supervisor who tells me in all the years the site has been running, they've never had this happen. And they'll fix it within 24 hours.

In the meantime, I'm getting an e-mail from StubHub on the average of once every 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll get two in a one-minute span. But I'm averaging six an hour, 144 per day. Each one is exactly the same, telling me to confirm the order ASAP.

I call customer service again, ask them to please make the e-mails stop. They can't.

The e-mails finally stopped the day after the concert. Luckily, I was able to sell the tickets to a friend-of-a-friend.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I can only see using them if there's no other outlet and I need the ultimate assurance -- in advance.

I rather enjoy going out on game day and taking my best shot with the other floor traders.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just called the office, Doc, and because I used a third-party seller, they can't do anything -- replacing or barring someone who uses those tickets.

I'm working on disputing the charge now, Playthrough.

FedEx didn't need my signature, I guess. And I don't recall certified mail being an option, either. I could be wrong, though.

Thanks, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted