1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stub-Hub: SJ-Style!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Highway 101, May 15, 2010.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I'm starting this thread with selfish intentions, to unload U.S. Open at Pebble Beach tickets for face-value.

Perhaps, it can continue with other SJers connecting with each other for ticket deals ranging from Broadway to Bronc-Riding.

What is some good advice for somebody who has never sold anything on StubHub or eBay before?

Here's what I've got: Two tickets to the four competition rounds of the U.S. Open plus the potential Monday playoff for $900. Please PM me if you have interest. I bought the tickets a year ago knowing I could stay with my folks and enjoy it as a fan, but not knowing whether I could get a credential to bust my tail for an east-coast deadline. I have a credential, thus no need for the tickets.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Hwy

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't afford the tix, but let me just say, I think this is a fantastic idea (though I'm not sure about the legality of it).

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

BigPern,

I'm glad you like the idea.

SJers like good tickets, and I'm sure I'm not the only SJer who's been in this predicament: I don't want to make a dime — just to get back what I paid!

So I think this could benefit others for sports/concerts/events and such.

If the Mods like the idea — SJ-StubHub — tack it up top!

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

As long as no one is making profit, I'm pretty sure it's 100 percent legal. No different than a friend buying a ticket for you and you paying him for it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've sold tons of tickets on eBay before. It works really well. StubHub takes a pretty sizable chunk that might be worth it because people who are willing to pay big $$$ will go there, but if you don't get big $$$, you might not even make your money back.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm mulling over an SJ-style SJBay or SJHub thread that I will discuss with Webby. It isn't a bad idea. We're among (mostly) like people here, so maybe it could work. Have to think it through a bit more first. But I know Highway101 and he's legit and honest as the day is long. He ran this by me first and I had no problem with it. He's way above board.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Outstanding idea.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

I could definitely get behind this. Kudos for bringing this up.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As long as StubHub is legal, so is doing something like this. And I'm pretty sure most ticket-scalping laws have been scaled back to only apply around the venue.

Just don't buy tickets for the other section of supporters of an English football match, as a couple of idiot Chelsea fans apparently found out at Saturday's game.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not a bad idea at all.

The only problem I could foresee would be the possibility of one or two idiots who might use the opportunity to out people (and we know those people still visit the board, even though they hate 1.0).

And that's not a jab at anyone who has posted on this thread.

11. ripple

ripple Member

Well I need a pair of Cubs tickets for June 17 (Oakland) or 18 (Angels).

Can I post that here?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have had pleasant conversations with those folks and I'm convinced all such problems are behind us. If their word means anything, and I believe it does, they are and I will be very disappointed to be proven wrong.

Ripple, don't do it on this thread. IF we start such a thing, we'll figure out what is and what isn't OK then.

Don't know if I'd go the eBay style or the Craig's List style or what.

Draft saved Draft deleted