1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuart Scott is ripped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good story on his work ethic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/sports/espn-anchors-private-battle-with-cancer-becomes-a-public-one.html?ref=sports&_r=1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Surprised that he has not gotten the same deferential respect that Robin
    Roberts gets wherever she appears.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The last time I saw him on ESPN was kind of jarring. He does not look healthy.

I've never been a fan, but I wish him nothing but the best.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don Cheadle plays him in the movie?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Probably because everyone loves Robin Roberts and no one takes Stuey seriously.

Still, I'm pulling for him to get better.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No one takes him seriously and he had a reputation for being a complete dick to co-workers at ESPN for the longest time. He's not despised at a Berman or Olbermann level, but I know people who have worked closely with Scott who just say he's a complete asshole.

Obviously, that was pre-Cancer. If that's changed him, great. If it hasn't, I still wish him nothing but the best and will pray for him.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep Pounding, Stuart.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Twenty-plus years ago, when Stuart hooked on with espn2 for its debut, he did bring a different style. It was polarizing for many years.

When I started out as a sportscaster, it was Olbermann-Patrick, Craig Kilborn, Steiner/Ley, Kenny Mayne and Stuart Scott. Those were the primary influences for any budding sportscaster.

Stuart definitely isn't lacking in self-confidence. Never has. That also helped him get from a local station in North Carolina to ESPN.

In 1997, Mike Tirico told me this about Stuart Scott. "Many may not like his style but he packs more information into each highlight than anyone else." I watched SportsCenter like a hawk for the next two or three years and, yup, Tirico was spot on.

Stuart may not have had a style similar to many of us trying be in the next "wave" of sports anchors that followed him but he did open up a new path for sports anchors. I've seen guys in Top 30 or 40 markets who are "Stuart Lite". Not terribly original but, hey, it works for them.

I find Stuart to be an incredibly driven man. It could be from the fear of dying. Could be from the unspeakable hate mail that he receives at ESPN in his early years. We all have something that pissed us off.

When I have seen his anchoring in recent years, it's clearly evolved. He's not the same sports anchor at 48 that he was at 28. We all move on with catch-phrases, energy levels, etc. He has as well.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I heard them talking on NPR earlier this week about how the Romans used to drink out of lead cups and that it basically poisoned them slowly over time. I think something similar is happening with Americans and cancer. It's hard to talk about it and not sound like a conspiracy nut, but I fear so many of the products we use every day: plastics, teflon pans, dry cleaning chemicals, detergents, soaps, food preservatives, and on and on. And no, I don't live the type of life where I actively avoid these things.

I just wonder...

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This stuff has been studied and re-studied and studied some more, though. And there's never any connection shown. Or there are contradictory connections shown.

Here's a good recent book on it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cancer-Chronicles-Unlocking-Medicines/dp/0307595145/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1394641631&sr=8-10&keywords=cancer

The only two definitive links to cancer, it seems, are smoking and obesity.

I'm married to someone who does actively avoid those things. Her brother died from cancer at 51. She kind of takes your stance on it: This stuff has to cause something.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out. Like I said, I'm not here to espouse any conspiracy theories on any specific products. I worked in a toxic torts law firm for a year and... the stories I heard. How the government invited spectators to come out and watch nuclear testing in New Mexico. The tobacco litigation. Pharmaceutical litigation. When it comes to free enterprise, the United States is the wild, wild west. You can kill people with your products, and all the while make a killing. There might be some expense on the back end from lawsuits for the people you killed, but it will be worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted