1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Like having pitchers work quicker, but what is the point of a 20-second time out?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. I can't keep track. It's just a mad scrum of 7- and 8-year-olds, dispersed among teams and leagues, to me.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I question the connection between the youth experience and being a fan of MLB. If that held true, barely any women would watch the NFL.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Kids get more out of playing baseball in the backyards with their dads than the organized crap they are playing at that age. If you are playing catch and maybe throwing whiffle balls to your kids they don't need to be playing organized baseball until they are older.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doublechecking signs, mainly.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How do you count it when there is a man on base, and the pitcher steps off the rubber? Does the clock reset?

7. LongTimeListener

Nah, at 7 and 8 they can play semi-real baseball. And they definitely want to compete even if they don't want to go crazy about it.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wish it was like that some days. It's pure joy on his face when we play sports in the yard.

9. LongTimeListener

My brother and I used to play pickle. I was 10, he was 8, and to give us runners to tag, we had our younger sisters and their friends play. We'd have five or six girls in the rundown some days. It was great.

I've never seen anything like that as a parent.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Other than competing, which if they play other sports they get, what more are they getting that you can't teach them.

I don't know, until they are playing kids who can actually play and want to be there, I'm fine with waiting.

I guess if the parent is incapable of teaching their kid I can see putting them in early.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There would have to be a limit on that stuff too. If a pitcher steps off more than a given number of times (maybe twice -- just spitballing), it becomes a ball (or maybe a balk).

One minor side effect might be to make stolen bases a more attractive strategy, too.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We did similar things. We would play hot box or stolen bases when we got down to three kids. We did this all the way to graduation. Our friend had a field and we would play hours of baseball with up to 14 kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted