1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strike a pose: Charles Woodson named AP NFL Defensive POY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 12, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Upset of the day: Zag didn't accuse me of liking Revis only because he is from Pittsburgh. :)

Some people just don't understand the impact a shut-down corner like Revis has on the game, how much it frees up the rest of the defense to do other things.
    [/quote]

Oh believe me, after growing up in an era when the Redskins had a shut-down corner in Darrell Green, I fully understand the impact a shut-down corner has on the game.

I agree that Revis should have been the AP's NFL Defensive Player of the Year. I watched quite a few Jets games and he was a straitjacket on opposing receivers all year.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are right - it wasn't close --- Revis was so far superior to Woodson that it is a crime he didn't win the award.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn, there we go agreeing again.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's an odd adjective for a corner.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

During the Bengals game they put up Revis' stats against guys like Andre Johnson, Ochocinco, Owens, Moss, Steve Smith and Marques Colston and how many times he had held those guys under 35 yards.

Revis is on a level where he can take a receiver completely out of a game because the quarterback will stop throwing to the guy he's covering.

Woodson lost Al Harris about halfway through the season and seemed to only get better. Nine picks and three pick-sixes. You can't top that and that's not a knock at Revis.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Not really. The Jets style of defense FORCES offenses to throw at Revis, deliberately loading their coverage to the opposite side of the field he covers.

Revis had the ball thrown his direction 111 times compared to Woodson's 76 times, yet gave up less yards, two more catches and three less touchdowns.

Revis was THAT DUDE this season.

7. outofplace

Give me the dominant cover guy over the playmaker who can be beaten one-on-one every time. Woodson had three more interceptions and two more interception returns for scores than Revis. That small handfull of plays does not come close to making up or the way Revis took away stud receivers from one offense after another all season even though the defenses the Jets ran encouraged opposing quarterbacks to throw at him.

8. Mizzougrad96

If I had to pick one for my team, it'd be Revis. He just didn't have the season Woodson did.

Does Woodson belong in Canton? I'm guessing at this point, it's close.

9. outofplace

No, he didn't have the season Woodson did. He had a better one.

10. Mizzougrad96

The stats, and 34 voters disagree. :D

11. outofplace

I'm sure the 34 voters did little beyond looking at the stats, which is why they foolishly gave it to Woodson.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Honest question from a guy that has not seen much of Revis. Does he play the run very well? Is he good in the blitz game? I have a hard time thinking of a corner that combined the cover skills with a great run stopping game as well as Woodson has the last few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted