1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strib says no to Aschburner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ace,

That's the case less and less these days... The funniest aspect of one of the buyouts was that in one case, he took a buyout and then joined a paper in the same chain about six weeks later. He lives a charmed life that's for sure...

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Back in the mid-'90s, I was a department head at a major metro who was in the midst of figuring out who among my staff I'd lay off if it came to that. There was a buyout program under way.

On the buyout deadline day, it occurred to me with about an hour to go that maybe, for personal and financial reasons -- it was a good deal -- maybe I should see about taking it myself, good deal for me, might save a job or two.

I went to a confidant and asked if she'd act as a go-between with my editor. If I inquired about the buyout, would it be held against me? She came back and said "No. But you've got 30 minutes until the list is complete."

I made two phone calls to papers in the area where I knew I'd be moving to, got a "positive possibilities in theory" response from one and decided to do it, make a life-changing decision on the spur of the moment.

I went to the editor and said I was applying, and here's the point of all this: I was told that once I was on the list, there was no turning back and there would be no reconsideration. If I was one of the people they chose to buy out, I was gone, with 100 percent certainty. And that's what happened. Fortunately, it ended up working out well for me (except the ultimate financial part, since I am doomed to continue to spend myself into debt no matter what relief I get).

I personally think they should keep Steve and that the whole business sucks. But I can see the point Jones made: That if they start opening the door for people who ask to come back, where does it stop?

I hope for the best for him; Steve's a good guy, extremely good at what he does, and we've worked together in the past. Hopefully something will come along pretty quickly.

But it's an ugly business all around.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We're going through buyouts out here right now, and it's been fair.

There were 50 folks eligible and the company would take up to 20. You had until a certain date to apply. There then was a 45-day period where you could change your mind. Once you signed your paperwork and you were gone, you had another seven days to change your mind and the company would take you back. Like if you were gone, you hated being away and you want back. No problem.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a great setup.

Unfortunately, it's an accelerated timetable at the Times. Decide by the 14th, I believe...and people who accept will be gone by June 1.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Very lucky. Usually it's 2-3 weeks of pay for every year of service. Can't imagine how a guy that young walks away with that kind of loot three times -- almost everyone would do it if the buyouts were really that generous.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i doubt almost everyone would do it. 4-6 months salary is great but unless you're approaching retirement age you need to have something lined up for the future.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And, to be considered somewhat non-essential (because he certainly couldn't have been breaking the bank in salary and benefits) and keep picking up those jobs is amazing.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think he did remember the "soulless bean countes" and decided to get while the getting was good.

Then he regretted it, and tried to take it back. There are many places of business and many professions where a resignation cannot be revoked. He unfortunately made their day easier by offering to take his 21-year veteran and NBA beat guy's salary off the books. And as Mizzou noted, he probably saved a couple jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted