1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strasburg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 8, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Strasburg was throwing 55 mph at 5!!!!

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes. Ab-so-lute-ly. Can't remember where it was, but someone did a pretty good article about what an entitled prick Harper has already become.

Pos had a good quote from Itzhak Perlman in his article about Landon Donovan in this week's SI about how, for every child prodigy you see, there are 100 who burned out and burned up you never met. I'm not sure SI did Harper any favors by putting him on the cover. Maybe he's too good to miss, or maybe he ends up smoking crack like Josh Hamilton. I wouldn't go penciling him into 10 all star games before we see how he handles fame, much less big league curve balls.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't understand how the Von Trapp family's hometown belongs in Sports and News.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought they lived in Stowe.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Strasburg was throwing 101 in the 7th. Those three strikeouts were marvelous to watch. I cover a shit ton of baseball (minors and college) and make a point to not watch baseball on my days off. Made an exception today, of course. Well worth it.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I still think hype for a starting pitcher in today's game is a little misplaced, since even if he becomes an all-timer you're going to get him for seven innings every fifth day - it's not like a position player and obviously not like a phenom in, say, basketball, who's out there every night of the year.

But it was a hell of a lot of fun watching him pitch tonight. Loved that Kaat was doing the game too. Does he do a lot of games for MLB Network? He was the Twins color guy when they won the title in '91; great analyst.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rob Dibble on MASN2 was an embarrassment. Fucker should have been wearing a skirt with the letters "Strasburg" on it the way he was cheerleading.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Lest we not forget, he WAS facing the Pirates.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Passan struck the setting well. Then again, I was aware of Beaufort (it's BO-furt in North Carolina) because it was across the river from my grandparents' cottage.

Heard plenty about Brien Taylor and read plenty. Wonder how often Taylor thinks about that ill-fated night ...

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Back on topic ... as soon as I saw the line on the crawl, I knew the souvenir store was going to profit - from Moddy alone.

I mean, he'll need a bunch of Strasburg jerseys to mix and match with all those caps.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

SI was too busy trying to create the next big thing to care what it did to Harper's ego. And, again, if Harper ends up flaming out b/c of his arrogance, I'm not expecting any self-examination from Verducci, just some tsk-tsking.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU LEAVE HARD HITTIN' ALONE!

Draft saved Draft deleted