1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange twist in Reggie Bush lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ned, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Ned

Ned New Member

Gun halts deposition
    By Charles Robinson and Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
    February 12, 2008

In another bizarre turn in the lawsuit brought against former USC star Reggie Bush, the deposition of New Era Sports co-founder Lloyd Lake came to an unexpected halt Tuesday after a man sitting in on the proceedings revealed he was carrying a handgun.

Lake was prepared to testify under oath about the $291,000 in alleged extra benefits his failed sports agency gave to Bush and his family. But that testimony was scuttled after Lake and his attorney, Brian Watkins, say they discovered Bush's attorneys had brought an armed observer to the proceedings. Watkins and Lake said Bush's attorneys – David Cornwell and Kevin Leichter – refused to reveal why the man was present. Lake's attorneys said they interpreted his presence as an attempt to intimidate their client.

"All Cornwell said was that this guy was working for the law firm of David Cornwell and that he has a CCW (carrying concealed weapon) permit," Watkins said. "The guy sat with his arms folded the whole time, staring at Lloyd. Then he opened up his jacket and you could see that he had a gun on him. I asked (Bush's attorneys) to identify him, and they refused to even tell me his name. Then after going back and forth about it, they told me his name, but wouldn't tell me who he was working for or why he was there. I wanted a business card or something that explained who this guy was."

Here's the link for the complete story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AtT24jhk.RHlleNxaKp6Qng5nYcB?slug=ys-lakedepo021208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd advise my client to walk out and demand that the judge order that the deposition proceed without any such armed presence. There's absolutely no justification for that except intimidation. All you have to say is "please remove Mr. " and if they refuse, walk out. I'm pretty damn sure no judge in California is going to allow a deposition to proceed with that environment.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Love the quote in the AP story...

“It’s outrageous that he shows up strapped for a deposition,” Watkins said. “That’s outrageous conduct in the lawyer world. Come on, we’re lawyers. I don’t threaten people, I sue them.”

I think I might have a new sig

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You flash a piece in the courtroom, I take it away, stick it up your ass and pull the trigger til it goes click.

Jesus.

You said it man, no one fucks with the Jesus.

Eight-year-olds, dude.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would refrain from saying anything critical about Mr. Bush or his fine legal defense team on this thread, if you know what's good for you.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

so the guy carried some heat. Big deal! He is protecting the greatest player in NFL history! And there are bad people out there! leave them alone! [/lil' chuckie taylor]

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You forgot to mention Kobe.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. I'm confused. Do you mean Kobe is the greatest player in NFL history ?

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I thought maybe Reggie's squeeze, the voluptuous Kim Kardashian, flashed the judge in an attempt at a mistrial or something.

Talk about GUNS in a courtroom... :eek:

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Could Bush's lawyers be disbarred for that stunt?

And the more I learn about Reggie Bush the person, the more I think he's a flaming scumbag.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, Kobe's the greatest STEAK in NFL history ...

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

No. I was just joking that everything is about Kobe for Chuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted