1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange sting to catch perverts in an Ohio park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4022717&page=1">I'm all for catching perverts and all, but this seems like a weird way to catch them. Since it's apparently OK for a woman to be topless at this park, a woman working with the police sits there in the park topless. She ASKS to see the guy's penis and he is soon arrested. OK to go topless, but not to show your penis. There's also a video of the sting in the link.</a>

The guy in the story is a firefighter and he's appealing.

Another thing: Who knew there were topless parks in Ohio?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So it is OK to show boobs and nipples but not a penis?

What the hell kind of country do we live in? Who cares, it is a fucking body part. Why are we so hung up on this kind of shit -- like the gay dudes hooking up in bathrooms.

I'm all for stamping out perverts and those who commit legit sex crimes --- but do we really need to spend tax payer money for these kinds of stings?

It is one thing if people is exposing themselves to minors or people who aren't consenting -- but to lure people into this kind of sting is ridiculous.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just think it's funny you think the guy's appealing. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;D

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Perhaps there would have been a better way to phrase that! :)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm all for cleaning up the park, but this goes waaaayyyyy too far. Her foot was on his shoulder at one point? I hope this doesn't hold up.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Berliner Park... too bad these "chicks" weren't around during my summer softball league last summer at this park. It would have been a nice break from the shitty softball we played.

7. "The definition of entrapment is police activity that induces somebody to commit a crime that they otherwise wouldn't do," said Gabriel Chin, law professor at the University of Arizona. "It's not entrapment to give somebody an opportunity to commit a crime."

I call bullshit. The cops weren't "giving anyone the opportunity to commit a crime." They were enticing them to commit crimes. Leaving things for people to pick up and then arresting them for it? That's entrapment.
    Also, what if you picked up a wallet and looked at the I.D. to see who to return it to. Are you now a criminal? I was in an airport the other day and a woman dropped a blanket in front of me and kept walking. I picked it up, caught up to her and gave it back. Am I a thief?
    I hate that the headline uses the term "perverts." If a topless woman puts her foot on your shoulder and asks to see your dick, you're a pervert if you comply? I thought a pervert was someone who has abnormal sexual appetites. I think most men would comply with the request of that woman.

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

DING, DING, DING! Look, no one wants guys jacking off while hanging out in public parks...but to have a topless woman flirting with a dude and asking to see his dick, that is entrapment. If I were the cops and the D.A., I would drop all charges before some ACLU lawyer knocks that shit out the ballpark and ends up forcing you to pay these guys off for entrapping, then arresting them.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Was Carl Monday involved in this?

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This one doesn't stand a chance in any reputable court of law.
    Sorry, stingers.
    Find a new niche to catch your pervs.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I enjoyed the part about New York's Operation Lucky Bag, when they were busting people who picked up whatever item was left -- only the law says they have 10 days to return it.

Draft saved Draft deleted