1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange feedback

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JFT, Dec 6, 2006.

1. JFT

JFT Member

Oh, those cross country parents. This e-mail was sent to our prep editor earlier this week. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Can you say Cookoo, Cookoo?

Mr. Joe Smoe,
    I am So-and-so, stepfather of Brandon G. of Old High. I wanted to make a few things clear with you. I know Coach Fiddle Faddle has been hounding you all to select Brandon as the "runner of the year" and that has bothered us (me Brandon, and his mother). You see, distance running isnt one of those sports that has judges holding up opinion cards giving them a score from one to ten. Cross country is a team sport that doesnt depend on judges to determine a winner.

Brandon doesnt run for the applause of others. He runs for himself. To test the limits of his body and mind. We appreciate the attention your paper has given the sport, but we dont really care for the constant comparisons that are made. Nothing matters but head-to-head racing. The reality is that a runner is only as good as his/her last race. Sad, but true.

We are not at all impressed with the last article you guys did on Brandon and Taylor K.. The picture looks stupid and they are misquoted a few times. If you are going to do an article on Brandon do it right or not at all. Brandon takes his sport very seriously and if you guys want to interview him and take his picture for the paper you will do the same.

If you need a picture of Brandon running let me know. Brandon is a serious athlete and doesnt like looking like dumb and dumber in the paper. I'm not like Coach Fiddle Faddle and I wont be begging you to put Brandon in your paper. Further, dont ever again stop him in the middle of a workout to take his picture or give an interview. If it cant wait until its over its probably not newsworthy. We dont want Brandon to be in your paper because the coach buys an add or he hounds you. If Brandon does something newsworthy, thats cool. Please dont dig for something to say about him.

If you have any questions about this e-mail hit me back or contact Brandons mother, Elaine.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wha?

I'd be sure to share this with Coach Fiddle Faddle. At least for a good laugh.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

All that over a fucking Q&A?

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i love parents (extreme amount of sarcasm)

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I do, however, agree (if the parent is right) about interrupting a practice. Get him before/after or on the phone. If it's breaking news, fine.

Otherwise...not so much.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

does the parent have an actual argument in regards to stopping practice and misquoting?

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

My guess is that the coach stopped practice, not the writer or photog.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That goddamn Fiddle Faddle.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm guessing he wouldn't have stopped it had the writer not asked. Never have I shown up at a practice/workout in which the coach stopped it and asked who I needed.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I have. All different sports too, including football. Certainly never expected it, but I guess it all depends on the coach. Although taking a kid out of a passing drill and stopping him in the middle of mile repeats are two completely different things. Runners shouldn't be interrupted.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If your paper has done more than one story this year featuring comments from cross country runners, something is really really wrong.

If Brandon G is really that upset about appearing in the paper, don't worry, it can very easily be arranged that it will never happen again. ::) ::)

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i too have had coaches pull a kid out of practice and even class to talk with them, but i doubt the coach would do it if he didn't think the kid was cool with it. if the kid wanted to finish his workout, he could have asked the writer to wait around or give a number to call him later.

if he stopped, had no issue with doing the interview and daddy got mad, oh well. I find in these cases the parents are a whole lot more upset than the kid ever is.

Draft saved Draft deleted