1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Straight Outta Compton vs. police?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I bet a lot of guys wearing that hat in those days couldn't even tell you what team it was. They just wore it because it was black.

Reminds me of when I was on the college beat, and a star player came in for his weekly interview session wearing a black-logo-on-black Cleveland Indians hat. Someone asked him if he was a Cleveland fan.

He looked confused for a moment, then realized the guy was talking about his hat. He said, "Man, I don't even know what team that is. It's just a style thing."

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They didn't go to that as their primary uni until 1991, but they wore it before as a throwback. Other than the Raiders and the Kings, and I doubt some boy in Compton is rocking Kings gear (especially pre-Gretzky), there wasn't a lot of black gear out there in the '80s.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Kings didn't change their base colors to black and silver until Gretzky was traded there in 1988. Owner Bruce McNall did so to mimic the Raiders.

Kings Uniform History

But lots of rappers wore Kings gear after that, not just because it was a hot team, but because they wore black. And because Kings supposedly stood for "Killing Innocent N---- Gangster Style."

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about those horrible purple and yellow jerseys.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Forum blue and gold, moran.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Philistine.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I recall the same thing when Colors came out. And I also have had the album in three formats. My sister once unwittingly put "F--- Tha Police" on my 8-year-ols nephew's iPod from a computer I had given to her that had my full iTunes library on it. Never use the Autofill function.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I saw "Colors" in the theater when it came out, and there was more strutting when that movie ended than when "Fight Club" ended -- and there was plenty of strutting after the latter.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist
    But you lovely bitches and hos should know I'm trying to correct this

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No joke.

No sports team meant more to me growing up than the Los Angeles Kings. I loved that team.

When they changed the uniforms to be the junior Raiders I flat out lost interest. Screw them. If the douchebag owner wanted to sell hats to gangbangers he didn't need to use my club to do it. Fuck Bruce McNall, hard. And fuck Marty McSorley's curved stick.

I love the old Forum Blue and Gold* uniforms. Like, irrationally. The old crown logo is fabulous.

[​IMG]

* Yeah, it's purple and yellow.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Maybe because NWA was the start of the East Coast-West Coast feud. Before that there wasn't a West Coast to feud with the East Coast. Early to mid-80s the big names were all East Coast, Boogie Down Productions, Grand Master Flash, Run DMC, etc. When NWA was talking about where they came from and Tim Dog came out with Fuck Compton, that may have been a hint about an East Coast-West Coast feud.

Draft saved Draft deleted