1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan's 'tirade toward media'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trouser_Buddah, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2680347

I think this falls under spnited's "We are not the story, we are the story tellers."

This could have been written without focusing so much on the individual reporter, in my opinion.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And not only was the reporter much of the focus, but the language used clearly shows the reporter who wrote the story was on the side of the reporter who upset Strahan. It didn't strike me as particularly objective.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Not to mention the lovely sidebar...

"ESPN reporter Kelly Naqi's questions launch Michael Strahan's tirade towards the media. On the Dan Patrick Show, she told her side of the story, what led up to the outburst and how the room reacted. To listen, click here."

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

5. Trouser_Buddah

Damn...don't know how I didn't see that one... :-[

Thanks for the compassion, D-3 ;)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks for the credit on the "We are not the story ..." Buddah but that line comes from someone far greater than I, a gentleman by the name of Red Smith.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Yes, I should have made that clearer...this thread's a winner all the way around! :)

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Times reporter Branch wrote doom and gloom piece on Eli the other day.
    Today, he writes of further-imploding Giants squad. Bases his implosion theory on Strahan's tirade, which wasn't nearly as hard on Naqi when you watch it as it is when you read the various accounts of it in print.
    Anyway's what happens when Cowboys get beat at Hoffa's burial site this week?
    This Giant team's fine, I figure.
    Wanna see a once-fine one that's in trouble, look at Atlanta.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who came up with the classic "BYH is still a dickhead?" Lupica? :D :D :D

10. Anyone else notice that the written accounts of Naqi's run-in with Strahan were far more cataclysmic than the actual event appeared on video? So much for accuracy. Or maybe you just miss something not standing right there and feeling the tension.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, after watching it, you can see the tension, but I wouldn't call it a tirade. He wasn't flipping out or anything. He was upset, made sure everyone knew it, but was pretty calm about it overall.

12. I agree. He was calm. Some people on the other thread said he was being this huge asshole. I didn't see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted