1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan's "alternative lifestyle"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 21, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

yup, cause the divorces of big-time celebrity couples are NEVER splashed across the front page.

Troll alert!

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

JW, methinks the only reason this is getting any ink at all is because wifeypoo is throwing switch-hitter inuendos around.

i could be wrong, of course.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Let me check the manual, JW.

Let's see -- the rules for handling accusations when wife is white, married to black football player, and accuses player of being gay. There seems to be some overlapping of the PC rules here ...

I may have to get back to you.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Gee, why don't you ask Ron Perelman vs Ellen Barkin, or Ron Perelman vs Patricia Duff. Strahan is front page news because of the charges -- he beat her (or didn't), he's cheap, he wants nothing to do with his twin girls, he has other love affairs (female, maybe male), she's a gold digger, etc.
    Wasn't there a Law and Order episode about powerful black men on the DL? One of the characters was a pro athlete, if I remember correctly.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If this kind of thing is news, then it's news I wouldn't mind letting the competition beat us on. Even if I knew for a fact that Strahan was gay, I just don't think it's within the public's right to know, any more than if I had personally witnessed him cheating on his wife when they were together. If Strahan had been arrested for cruising a men's room in the park or if his alleged gayness had caused a rift in the locker room or if he had proclaimed himself gay, then it's news. Also, I don't think we ought to let estranged spouses use us that way. It is common practice on newspapers to ask ourselves about a source's motives before we print accusations of any kind. I think her motive is quite clear here, and printing what she says doesn't pass the smell test.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree, Frank. Much of the salacious stuff she's claiming isn't being said from the docket but from the court house steps, where she's not under oath. If this were happening in Australia, she'd be jailed for slander, and the media could never broadcast/print her court-step mutterings. There is something to be said for a fair trial, and it doesn't always have to include a circus.
    Unfortunately for those of us in sports, we'll likely have to sweep up the muck. Some editors will want some sports reporters to get Strahan talking about whether he's gay, and when he says no, there's your story. It's Mike Piazza all over again. I'd feel just as sleazy asking Strahan if he cheated on his wife, though now that it's been brought out in court, I guess that's fair game. Though not sure why it matters, except to the Strahan's bank accounts and their poor kids.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Law & Order SVU. It's where Ice T's character finds out his estranged son is gay.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was that before or after he took him to the gay steel mill? [/simpsonsjack]

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We work hard. We play hard.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Dad why did you take me to a gay steel mill?"

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/428875p-361645c.html

Even Strahan's estranged wife admitted she might have gone too far by hinting the football star and Smith are an item - but she still thinks they're dogs.

"I didn't just blurt out Michael is gay with Ian," Jean Strahan, 41, told The News. "I really meant that it was a lifestyle change. ... Alternative to being with me was hanging out with this guy, chasing anything that moves."

Draft saved Draft deleted