1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strahan vs. Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Nov 29, 2006.

1. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Whatever, Hypocrite. As always, it takes a big man to wave a big stick under an anonymous flag. That sounds ... hypocrite alert! .... downright hypocritical to me. Anyone else?

Mike Vaccaro

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sandy lives.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Someone really needs a hug.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

the Times had body language experts look at it? what world is this coming too?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Shockey - it's nice to hear you're a good journalist - we need that here.

But I think it should be pointed out that so is Kelly. She's been doing investigative/issues reporting for ESPN for years -- Naqi is the married name -- maiden name escapes me.

Anyhoo, she reports mainly for Outside the Lines, the kind of show most of you say ESPN needs more of.

It doesn't surprise me that many of you don't know what she looks like because she's not a 'me me me' kind of TV journalist. But she's gotten some great 'gets' over the years and done some superb, award-winning reporting.

You say she had an 'agenda' -- I say she was assigned a story and was doing her job. Not everybody can be a beat writer. Some of us do have to 'fly in' and do a story like that occasionally.

And no, I'm not her. Don't even know her. We have mutual friends, though, and I've long admired her work.

Incidentally, I saw this as a typical New York player-reporter run in. I didn't think it had much to do with gender and didn't see it as 'bullying.' This doesn't anywhere approach Bonilla's "make your move," for example.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i don't doubt for a second that kelly generally does fine work. in this case, however, this might be an example of "outside the lines" running a bit thin now that it's daily. as i've said before, i assumed the folks who run "outside the lines" put kelly onto to this, and there is little doubt in my mind she went to giants stadium with the camera crew armed with the printout of the wfan-strahan interview to read the remarks verbatim to burress. again, call it chasing a story all you want, but if some folks want to wonder if the motives were pure, it's our prerogative.

i don't know kelly. but if she's as good as people say, i would not think she would call this "story" her finest moment. hey, we all have stories we're not proud of. lord knows, i've had my share of low-point moments -- hey, i worked for a n.y. tab for 18 years -- and it's my guess that kelly rolled her eyes big-time when the espn suit told her, "go to giants stadium and see what burress has to say about what strahan said about him."

one last time: strahan is a pb-and-j dickhead of a bully. that doesn't mean kelly was an innocent bystander.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I will be interested to hear what Strahan has to say on his regular Monday spot on WFAN.

I hope that Joe Benigno does not just gloss over the subject.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

By then, it'll be old news. The Giants will have played the Cowboys and they'll have that game and its repercussions to talk about. I'd be surprised if this even came up, except maybe for Strahan to say it's in the past and has been dealt with.

Oh, and, good to have you back, Luggie. Where have you been? We missed ya!

Draft saved Draft deleted