1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

story on Rick Hummel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Saint Lou, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

If there has already a thread on here about this, sorry for starting a new one.

Here is a story on St. Louis Post-Dispatch baseball writer Rick Hummel going into the Hall of Fame tomorrow:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/CEE08E3DC8CA245A862573260051AECB?OpenDocument

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A deserving, well-done story on a good guy. Congrats, Rick. You made the Nitty Gritty River City proud.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good story. I'd advise any young baseball writer to observe the way Rick works. He's no pushover, but he's also not confrontational. You can do a good job of covering the beat and still get along with the people you cover.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The person who wrote the story, Joe Holleman, is that the same Holleman that worked at The State in Columbia, S.C.? Solid writer.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Congrats to a good, deserving guy.

I've been off the MLB beat for a couple seasons, so I haven't seen Rick in a while.

In that picture, he looks like he's lost some weight.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I grew up reading Hummel. Good, solid writer.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Congratulations to Rick, a solid writer, a fountain of baseball knowledge and a nice guy.

8. Nice story. Except that writers and broadcasters are not inducted into the Hall. They win annual awards presented by it.

9. I hope he's overjoyed and has a wonderful day.
    We still shouldn't be accepting awards or induction from any Halls of Fame except our own.

10. He is, in fact, inducted into the Hall of Fame. The awards are ways of ensuring that a broadcaster and writer get in each season. Hummel has a plaque and such in the Hall just like everyone else.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Can't believe I'm being this anal (easy, boots) but writers and broadcasters are <b>recognized</b> by the Hall of Fame. They are not inducted. I covered a team where the broadcaster won the award one year and the Hall people emphasized that "induct" was not the proper verb.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There is an annex portion of the museum that highlights broadcasting and sportswriting, and the annual honorees from the media have name plates back there. But they don't have "plaques" like the players, managers and others, and it's not in the Hall proper. Still, it's a tremendous honor, although it would be more ethical for only retired or dead writers to be eligible. Broadcasters generally are employees of the teams anyway, so forget ethical issues there.

Draft saved Draft deleted