1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story idea ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

So, I heard from a friend about these two brothers. One goes to high school, and the other used to, and they both wrestle. But you see, their dad killed their mom and then one of the kids killed the dad. But the kid still wrestles, you see. Oh, and the dad was nice. Sort of.

I can't decide how to write it: Should I do a huge feature? A major column? Or a long, classy TV feature?

Any advice would really help. Oh, and don't steal my thunder if by some small chance you've come across this story too.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just watched my DVRed Real Sports and saw that story for like the 1,000th time, it feels like. Damn it, it's a great story and all, but it's done already.

3. Huh?

A minute goes by and you've already seen the story 1,000 times? I'm confused.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure which of these paragraphs is more of a mind-fuck.

Allow me to chime in: Huh?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I get it.
    Yes, the story has been done too much, but it is a pretty good story.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Insert here pic of girl with bag of chips on her head.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Methinks he's referring to the Detwilers, who've been written about by ESPN, Philadelphia papers, Dr. Seuss....

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Yes, the rule is if a similar story has EVER been done ANYWHER in the nation of 300 million people you can NEVER LOCALIZE a similar occurance. That's wrong.

So, remember we can never cover a baseball game b/c that's been done like a million times.

Somebody beats cancer, returns to sports? ... NOPE. 1 million stories on Lance Armstrong.

You get the idea.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

... Reilly ...

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Can I get back the 30 seconds it took to read this thread.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It was an old story with Reilly did it a few weeks ago. At least a year old. It was even older when Real Sports did it this month.

I understand a ton of stories are written time and time again, but a feature on a high schooler? I don't think that compares to coverage of Lance Armstrong. And each time it has been presented as "look at this tremendous story we uncovered. You'll never believe it." I doubt four years into Armstrong's Tour de France run anyone was writing "You'll never believe it: This guy survived cancer."

I know it's a good story. It's cool the kids are still wrestling, and I'll even go so far as to say every time I've seen it, it has been fairly well done. BUT, did Reilly really have to write about it? I'm sure there are dozens and dozens of down-on-their luck high schoolers out there for him to follow. Why would he "borrow" an idea that has already been done and tell a story that has made its way around the nation?

Myself, I can't imagine seeing a very good story like this done very well on a national stage, and thinking "well, I should write that exact same thing, except in MY words! What a great story 'idea.'" When I miss a good feature like that on my beat, and someone else thoroughly covers it and does a very good job (barring it being someone incredibly important, and no, a high school wrestler isn't incredibly important) I don't rush out to try and suck up the last remaining drops of sentiment. I say "damn it," and try and get the next one.

I don't know ... to me, this story still being written is like someone today writing a story about the autistic kid shooting 3-pointers last basketball season. We get it. Great story. But given the resources and talent of those associated with SI and HBO, I expect not to see rehashed stuff.

So that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear. And you can't have those 30 seconds back either, Boobie.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like the Detwiler kid, especially the way he's always pulling pranks on Mr. Prickly and Miss Finster.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted