1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story done?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gospringboks, Aug 21, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I just did a story about a college football player who has "turned his life around." The SID tipped me to the story but wouldn't give me what exactly he turned around. Neither would the coach, although it was obvious the coach was proud of this player doing the "right things."

So I talked to the player. When I asked him about the things he used to do, he mentioned vague stuff like missing classes, sleeping in, etc., and trouble he'd get in. I asked if that was anything he could go into more detail about, and he just dropped his head and shook his head.

You can't force people to talk about things like this. If you know for a fact what happened to this kid, be careful with how you write it. But again, you're dealing with a high school kid. If he doesn't want to talk about it, it's best to leave it on the back burner and try again later.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line, you can't do the story without the kid's cooperation, period.

Also a warning: If you do a story like this about some kid turning his life around, they are most likely going to lie or massage the truth a little bit.

So be careful saying this former truant who used to throw stones at his neighbors windows is now a team leader and all-around good guy. You may find out that he also burned down his neighbor's house.

If you get into this you got to really be specific on what the kid did. You may not choose to put everything in the paper, but you don't want any nasty surprises.

Also, there will probably be relatives and such that don't come off very well. Better try to talk to them beforehand rather than after they see themselves in the paper.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

My top 3 rules for writing about high school kids.
    1. Get it right
    2. Be sensitive
    3. You're wrong, a bad writer and also an asshole

4. 212areacode

212areacode Member

Go talk to the kid, not the coach.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think you can still do the story if you talk to enough people around the kid ... it's tough to say though, without knowing the topic.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless the kid is the greatest high school football player in the land, why would you want to dig up all the travails of some underage kid based on second-hand accounts when the kid doesn't want to talk.

Wouldn't be worth the time you put into it.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He's 16, meaning you have another season or two to work on him.

Don't view it as working on him, either, view it as getting to know the kid, what makes him tick.

If after six months you develop some rapport with him, then you can extend the offer.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sit down with the kid and give him some Jesus juice. He'll open up.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Thanks for the input Jacko.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you've got to be kidding. doing this type of story where the subject isn't even quoted sounds - and reads - like a story with a lot of holes no matter how many "people around the kid" you interview. doing it when the KID doesn't want his story told is just out of line.

11. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Rhody, that's just bad advice.

And it's gutless, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted