1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Store-bought stuff for a cookout?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, Jun 8, 2010.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people who likes to bring something homemade whenever I go to a cookout or the like. However, I was just invited to one right after work today, which mandates I grab something from the store. I don't want to do just cookies or a lame dessert -- would rather have something that can be enjoyed with the main fare. I'm told there will be burgers, dogs, pasta salad. Suggestions for what I can bring?

Thanks.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Potato chips.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wild Turkey 101

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

hookers and blow.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And don't forget de Lea an Perren...

Justin Wilson's Cole Slaw

A recipe for Justin Wilson's Cole Slaw. Follow the simple recipe instructions for Justin Wilson's Cole Slaw shared by other home cooking experts.

Ingredients
    5 Tbs. Mayonnaise, (heaping)

1 Tsp. Louisiana hot sauce

2 Tbs. Yellow mustard (heaping)

2 Tbs. Ketchup

2 Tbs. Olive oil

1 Tbs. Wine vinegar

1 Tsp. Garlic salt

1 Tbs. Lea and Perrins

1 Juice of mediums size lemon

3 Tsp. Salt (to taste)

4 Bell peppers, sliced (Eliminate if desired)

2 Onions, medium, shredded (Eliminate if desired or use red onion, slivered)

1 Large cabbage, shredded (A one pound bag of cole slaw works better)

Directions
    Put mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl large enough to hold complete mixture, but shaped so that the mixture can be beaten with a fork. Beat mayonnaise and mustard until combined. Add olive oil slowly, beating all the time. Beat until mixture has returned to the thickness of original mayonnaise. Add Louisiana hot sauce, continuing to beat. Add ketchup and keep beating. Add salt and garlic salt, beating all the time. Add wine vinegar (this will thin the sauce down). Beat this thoroughly, adding the lemon juice as you do so. Taste for salt and pepper. Place shredded cabbage, peppers, and onions in a large salad bowl. pour sauce over and toss well. This should be done about an hour before serving. Tastes even better the next day.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

or you can buy your own. whichever.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I despise cole slaw.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Cole slaw more complex than Thanksgiving dinner. Who knew?

Here's my alternative recipe:

Ingredients:
    Shredded cabbage
    Marzetti's slaw dressing

Directions: Mix.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Get some burger king ribs and put them in your own tray and tell them you grilled them

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I remember as a freshman we had a potluck lunch on campus at the end of the year for a class. Being the lame 18 yr. old I decided to bring a bucket of the Colonel's. Well it was emptied first. Just sayin'.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Two 18-packs of Tecate in a cooler full of ice
    Four limes

12. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Yeah, I went to a party not long ago where everyone brought something homemade except for one single guy who brought a tray of crackers, cheese and pepperoni ... and those got polished off in no time.

I just took some pickles yesterday. Eh.

Draft saved Draft deleted