1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stopping the Westboro Jackasses.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 26, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/83279/

Plenty of discussion here, both ways.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought it said "Shot them down."

That would have been cool too... :D

3. Don't know how I missed this ... So I take it this is unconfirmed and i.e. untrue?

Yep it's fake ... Westboro never attempted to picket Rogers' funeral.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If the public and media started to ignore the Westboro scum, that would go a long way in stopping them.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Russell Brand interviews two members of the Westboro Baptist Church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2JAErHl7lZ4

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Eventually, they'll picket the wrong funeral, their escape routes will be cut off, and a couple of them will go home in body bags.

And it will be a great day for America.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, those guys were even more fucked up than i thought they'd be.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

They tend to be cognizant of that. For example, when they picketed the Upper Big Branch coal mine disaster in W.Va. a few years ago, they went and did it near the capitol grounds in Charleston instead of heading to Raleigh County, where it happened. They were shown up in Charleston by mine workers, but I doubt they would've come out alive had they gone closer to where it happened.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're so crazy, even Hannity doesn't like them.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

But the media have too much fun giving them publicity because in true stereotypical form, they want to connect them to anyone who votes against gay marriage on any state ballot.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I understand that most of these Westboro nut jobs are lawyers who are very cognizant of their "rights."

They're using free speech as a "right." Here's a great idea. Let 'em protest with their "God Hates Fags", etc. signs. A great counter protest would be printing signs that say "Really?" and then stand RIGHT NEXT to each nut job so that every picture of their protest signs has the word "Really?" included.

But I'm also a big fan of how they handled it in Mississippi.

Draft saved Draft deleted