1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stop telling me I'm beautiful. I'm ugly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You'll always have your "likes."

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Early on, I was told by a very wise neighbor to tell the smart girls how pretty they are and the pretty girls how smart they are to better pick them up. Now, I am dating a woman who is both smart and pretty. I find complimenting her choice in furniture is a suitable substitute.

How does this relate to the conversation? It doesn't. I just wanted everyone to know that I, a dumb and ugly guy, have touched the brass ring.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems relevant:

[​IMG]

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I got through the first paragraph of that mindless drivel.
    And she is ugly.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Of course we're ignoring the possibility of other gifts -- athletic talent, artistic talent -- in our brains vs. beauty either/or.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A woman I've known for more than 50 years is a classic blue-eyed blonde. She is 64 and could pass for 30 and is absolutely beautiful. Throughout school she was among the smartest. She got her 4-year degree and she told me she was supposed to have a "Legally Blonde" life. This was the mid-70s, well before Reese Witherspoon came around. It was set up by her uncle who was a political big-shot and had her ready for law school at a major university in the PNW. Interesting family in that her dad was a navy veteran who became a Lutheran pastor. Her mom was a gorgeous fashion model in the 1940s-'50s and was hired by Hollywood moguls to teach Shirley Temple how to be a lady. Well, my friend stumbled into a modeling career and never went to law school. She was never overwhelmingly famous but did a lot of advertising shots and had some minor TV roles. She had a few bit roles in "Charlie's Angels." Ask her about her career and she frowns. "You know, I was supposed to be Legally Blonde," she said. "I think my uncle was disappointed that I didn't do that. I probably should have." She also said that she fought with producers who wanted her for dumb blonde roles because she had a college degree and she wasn't dumb. She turned down roles because of that. As it pertains to this thread, one time I said to her: I bet that most of your life you've been the most attractive person in any situation you've been in. How do you handle that? She said, "I never thought about it that way, probably because when I was a kid, everybody always said to me 'I hope when you grow up you'll be as beautiful as your mother.' "

Another story for the subject of this thread:
    One time I got stuck driving somewhere with my brother-in-law who always listened to Rush Limbaugh on the radio. It's the only time I've ever heard his show. He got a call from a woman who said that she was afraid her daughter would not have a happy life because she was unattractive. "I love my daughter, but I just think she will be unhappy because she is unattractive."
    Limbaugh said, "Let me get this straight, you fear your daughter won't have a happy life because she is unattractive? Hell, take her to a bowling alley, she'll fit right in."

RickStain likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This was freqposter 101.

Hokie_pokie and TyWebb like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...but your long schlong keeps getting in the way of your typing?

doctorquant likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Honey, stop being obsessed with looks. You're not ugly. ... ... ... You're psycho."

Chef2 and doctorquant like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It goes against my instincts and years of practice, and I'm having limited success at most, but within the past few months I've tried to break myself of the habit of calling my kids (13-year-old boy, 5-year-old girl) smart. This article was the first I saw to make the case, but I didn't start applying it until I heard another news story much latter hitting the same points.

100% Is Overrated

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="As it pertains to this thread, one time I said to her: I bet that most of your life you've been the most attractive person in any situation you've been in. How do you handle that? She said, "I never thought about it that way, probably because when I was a kid, everybody always said to me 'I hope when you grow up you'll be as beautiful as your mother.' "."[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like she learned how to be demure about her looks.

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Sounds like she learned how to be demure about her looks.[/QUOTE]

But how was her rack, amirite?

Draft saved Draft deleted