1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STILL not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

In preparing for a McCain Presidency I am going to stock up on batteries,duct tape and canned food. In the trunk of my car I am going to keep a shovel and a pail of sand.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yep - another great point...

But what's curious is that a nameless, faceless Democrat beats McCain in those same polls. Put a name to the Democrat (Obama or Hillary) and McCain wins.

What accounts for that?

3. Lugnuts

Another smart reason for owning a Hummer.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are no guarantees. If he is a bad choice, you can choose again in four years. If you survived the past eight years, you cannot possibly think Obama's worsst-case scenario could be any worse.

BTW . . . those hostages that helped doom Carter's chances at re-election . . . all came back alive, with their heads attached to their bodies.

We tend to forget that sometimes.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that is the desire for change, the voters who perhaps don't know exactly what they want except they do know it has to be as different from what they currently have as possible. And those people are the ones who will give a big boost to the Democratic candidate once the nomination is locked up. In a sense, all they really want is to vote against President Bush or anybody like him. And it wouldn't matter who the Republicans put in the race, they are going to vote against that person.

The head-to-head numbers of any Democratic candidate against McCain won't really mean much until there is just one Democratic candidate.

6. jboy

jboy Guest

We've already gotten a preview of that and Obama is holding his own:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/02/27/ST2008022703886.html?hpid=topnews
    BTW, the economy is the No. 1 issue for voters, not Iraq.

7. Lugnuts

Your explanation makes sense. It'll be fun to follow this summer.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A lot can change between now and the fall when voters will be fully focused on candidates.

9. jboy

jboy Guest

That's true. A couple of fake terrorist threat warnings could change things, say around Nov. 1st or so.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Aside from a $1,000.00 tax credit for working families Obama has not produced a single idea to allow the American economy to grow and expand jobs. His only jobs program appears to be turning a blind eye to illegal immigration so they can have jobs.

He wants to amend NAFTA, but doesn't say how and doesn't say that Mexico and Canada would agree.
    He seems to advocate forms of protectionism of American industries, but doesn't say which industries. The same old corn and sugar subsidies? Ethanol?

He wants to invest in American Manufacturing. Doesn't say which industries, how much, where the money would come from. And doesn't say that one of the 2 biggest obstacles in expanding the American manufacturing base to provide a significant number of jobs is for universal health care, with gov't subsidies. The other problem with American manufacturing is the American standard of living. Wages are too high here to support large scale manufacturing.

Obama's an empty vessel who has spent the last 6 years running for President, without accomplishing anything but beating a corpse in the Illinois Senate race 4 years ago. Which makes his ass kicking of Hillary more impressive, since she's been running for 35 years.

He wants you to believe, he wants you to have faith. Folks, we're electing the Presdient of the United States Government, not a Pope.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you have time, I'd suggest checking out Dreams From My Father. I'd have voted for him for the quality of the writing, if nothing else.

If you want to see what really got the ball rolling this time around, I'd check out his speech at the Jefferson Jackson Dinner in Des Moines in November. It's a little more than 20 minutes.

A summary of his policy papers from this campaign can be downloaded here:

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf

For a lot of people, his 2002 speech warning against invading Iraq got their attention. It's perceptive and prophetic.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama's_Iraq_Speech

An interesting story about how he has approached this campaign from his perspective as a community organizer ran in The Nation last spring.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070416/moberg

The speech that launched him onto the national stage, the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

Victory speech from Iowa.

New Hampshire concession.

12. Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Words, zeke. Just words.
    FWIW, I may have been the only person in the hall in 2004 who thought the keynote was merely adequate. "We worship an awesome god in the blue states"? Pander, pander, pander.

Draft saved Draft deleted