1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick-in-the-mud college professor takes on LeBron's pregame ritual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NBA needs to simply haul off and impose a rule which forces all players to wait four full years after graduating from high school (or reaching the age of 22) before entering the league.

No exemptions, no exceptions, no jumping to the NBADL. Four years. In fact, make it five, to allow for redshirts.

No less legal or enforceable than the current rule, and the NBAPA would probably support it, because it would protect the jobs of some mid-30s journeymen for a few more years.

And just think of the drama which would build up for the draft of 2012. ;)

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, please explaint it to me dipshit.

Everytime this debate comes up your lack of basketball knowledge comes shining through. Just go through your list of highschool players again and your comments beside them. You exposed yourself right there, despite the fact you played highschool basketball.

I guess you grew up 200 years to late, back then you could have kept young black men as long as you wanted to "entertain" you

Nice country, you can send a guy to Iraq at 18 but not let him play in the NBA.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Would you rather watch an aging Walt Frazier or a 18-year-old Bassy Telfair?

4. 93Devil

If I owned the NBA, I would want the best available product, and having teenagers running around is not the best product.

The NBA is a business, and any business can place a minimum of training on their employees.

Am I denying a black man a job by telling him he needs to have a college degree to be a high school teacher?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Show me where it says you need a college degree to play in the NBA.

6. 93Devil

But can you play in the NFL out of high school?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well 93 Devil get your mind out of the gutter you racist -- don't you know it was the rules set up by the man that forced Kevin Love to go to UCLA for a year and Joe Alexander to go to WVU?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NO, but you can in every other sport in the world. Because the NFL does it doesn't make it right.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Different league, different rules, different body types needed.

If a kid can play, there's absolutely no reason to force him to go to school. Some kids aren't academically inclined. Trying to force them to be is absolute and complete and total bullshit pandering to the "What about the kids!" crowd.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Freddie Adu was playing in the MLS when he was, what, 16?

The Williams sisters turned pro at 14.

Countless kids have been drafted and played baseball right out of high school.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except, of course, that that is obviously incorrect if you just look at what's actually happening.

You think the NBA would be better off if it didn't have LeBron for four years, and this would be his second year? He made the all-star team 4 years and dragged his team to the NBA finals while he was a "teenager running around."

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but maybe if he had gone to college he wouldn't have been swept(Devil 93).

Draft saved Draft deleted