1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick-in-the-mud college professor takes on LeBron's pregame ritual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 27, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Devil wants it.

You know what, selfishly I would like it to but I also don't believe in restricting a man from earning a living for my entertainment purposes. In most of these cases these young men are coming from very poor backgrounds. What happens if one of them have career ending injury in college while entertaining you? Who takes care of them then?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They earn their degree. I know it sounds harsh, but the opportunity to have a business degree from a good college is almost worth more than a $1,000,000 signing bonus.

A buddy of mine coaches high school in my area, and he told me one day that he had a kid get a $200,000 scholarship offered to him from Vandy.

Didn't SI just run a feature that showed 70% of all NBA and NFL players broke two years after they stop playing?

I do see where you are coming from because I am for freedom of choice across the board in most situations, so I guess I am a hypocrite with this issue.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll be factoring in all the players who returned to college to earn their degrees, such as Vince Carter.

Also unsure why you're only using players who didn't go to college instead of players who left college early, since your contention is that staying in college makes them better players. This logic dictates that staying in college for four years is the best and only course.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They aren't there for school, you know that. They are there to play basketball. Might not be right but it's the truth

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Those who are so in love with themselves that they can't help but draw attention to themselves at every possible waking moment start each basketball game by making a silly spectacle.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not to change the topic, but this is insanity.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I had a whole post planned on this last night, but decided to drop it: he counts Darryl Dawkins, who played in the NBA for 13 years and averaged 13 points, and Shawn Kemp, who was a 7-time All-Star and averaged 18-10 over a 10-year period, as "busts." Basically anybody who didn't become an all-time all-star (Kobe, LeBron) he counts as a "bust."

Dawkins didn't become Wilt Chamberlain, O'Grady didn't become Elgin Baylor, and Kemp wasn't Karl Malone. So what?

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Kemp would have stayed in college he would have been able to have the same type of career as these superstars picked ahead of him:

George McCloud
    Tom Hammonds
    Stacey King
    JR Reid
    Danny Ferry
    Pervis Ellison

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't argue with that, either.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In Kemp's prime he was right there with Malone, not over the course of their careers but in the mid 90's Kemp was unstoppable.

His sperm have been dominant for much longer

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He never won a playoff series, right?

All three of those guys did have good NBA careers so I guess they could be called successes.

But would you call the careers of Dawkins, Kemp and T-Mac successful? I have trouble doing that. Others do not.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What is your definition of "a successful career," devil? How in the world can you say those three guys did not have it?

Draft saved Draft deleted