1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick a fork in McCain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1280457/

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well would YOU admit you wanted Cox?

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, I can tell you exactly what McCain would say: "At this time eight years ago, I had a national approval rating of three percent. And that was in a poll with a five percent margin of error. I could have been at minus two!"

I'll be spending more time on the trail soon, but I've heard from friends that I trust that McCain has been in a better mood the last few weeks than he has since he began his campaign. Read into that what you will.

Too bad the private plane is gone, though. I could have gotten used to that.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that McCain's campaign isn't going anywhere, but anyone who thinks this Iowa poll means anything is a fool... It's more important for the democrats. New Hampshire is more important for the republicans...

The republican nominee will be Giuliani, Thompson or Romney. Last time I checked, Huckabee was polling at 1 percent nationally.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Obviously it isn't an exact predictor of the election, but it means something.

Ask Tommy Thompson.

Not that he was going anywhere, anyway, but this will do him in.

And adding up the votes received by Tancredo, Huckabee and Brownback surely isn't a good sign for a guy like Giuliani.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This only matters for the candidates who actually tried. For Tommy and Sammy, they put everything into this. They went into this needing a second place finish so they could get the free press and the increased donations. This dooms their candidacies.

Rudy is still a serious contender. The fact that he didn't spend his budget wooing voters to a meaningless fund-raising exercise for the state party doesn't take away from that fact. I guarantee you that he finishes ahead of Brownback, Tancredo and Huckabee at the Iowa caucus, when the votes matter.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Oh, I agree, Pope.

Just pointing out that it has meaning in the grand scheme. Not that I think Huckabee will beat Rudy.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Zeke, pat yourself on the back. Tommy's the first one to drop: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070812/NEWS/70812013/1001

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I won't break my arm, since he said before the poll that he had to have second or he was likely done.

Still, tough run for him.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Huckabee and Brownback won't do half-badly in any whack-job territory bearing minimal electoral votes.

In more diversified states, they'll be blips on the screen.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Now that Huck's got legs, look for him to start tacking towards the center and start holding the rapture righties at arm's length.

Draft saved Draft deleted