1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stewie Griffin spoofs Bryan Adams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

About two weeks ago Sideshow bob made an appearance in a new Simpson's episode. His son was also in the episode. As he walked through a room yelling about killing Bart, Bob's son stepped on a mini-rake, just like Dad.

It was the best reoccurring joke in Simpson's history.

Family Guy had one such moment. In James Woods' when Brian chucks a rock at Peter. Peter gets hit upside the head and says "Brian you missed." Brian says "No I didn't, that's for rolling up the window in the General Lee."

In fact, the episode with the General Lee was great. The window, the crunchberry, the raccoon jumping out of Lois' shirt.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed...the General Lee episode was on tonight. Great one.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Family Guy is a good show and I like it, but when it misses the humor mark, it misses BIG TIME.

I agree with those above that say there's no point in the Peter vs. Chicken fight and I usually tune out when this is going on. I like the episodes that have an actual story and then randomly insert nonsensical cutaways. Something like the Stewie sings a Brian Adams song video is only good in small doses.

Still, there are some moments that absolutely floor me. Like the episode where Stewie made some random joke and nothing happened and he said "Hmm, I thought we had a clip."

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like the subtle jokes like when Stewie says, "I've been planning this for years" or some version of that. You're 1, dude. You're 1.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've got to be honest.

Simpsons doesn't do it for me. It was funny 12 years ago when I was in high school and younger, but anymore? No. Not funny.

Family Guy is hilarious. It brings it pretty much every show.

All of that said, Seinfeld will always be the best comedy ever. Always funny.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

You're opinion. I think Family Guy is great. Hits about 90 percent of the time and as someone said earlier, when it hits, it HITS.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The Simpsons movie was hysterical. But the show itself? I tried to watch recently and it's like they saw Family Guy was successful and ripped it off to try to stay relevant.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Aids Walk is on now. Kramer's never gonna make it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Funny, since it was on The Simpsons where a picture of Peter Griffin was displayed with a caption reading something like "ell rippo offo."

I like FG a lot and it's had some awesomely hilarious "holy shit, I cannot believe they went there" moments. But when it comes to lasting impact, it's nowhere close to The Simpsons.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Family Guy has become fuckin' ponderous to me. I couldn't hack more than two seconds of that Adams thing.

Rock Lobster is the Family Guy musical send-up gold standard.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Family Guy is unquestionably funnier than The Simpsons right now IMO. That Heavenly Creatures ripoff from a few weeks back was painful to watch. Sunday night's episode was better, but still not all that great. There have been a few funny plots this season (Homer leery of Bart's Muslim friend, Burns buying an NBA team, Homer/Marge meet the Flanders), but for the most part, it just doesn't deliver like it used to, or even like the movie did.

But no cartoon beats The Simpsons in its mid-90s prime.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

It's booze. And what fine booze it was: http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html

Draft saved Draft deleted