1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stevie Yzerman to be new Tampa Lightning GM

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, May 25, 2010.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I guess the other idea that I'd try to put to rest is that he would have learned something from Jimmy D. Holland and Nill, yes, but Y didn't have the time of day for D. Ever.

o-<

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why is that? I'm curious.....I guess the assumption, based on the amount of years both men have been with the Wings in high-profile positions, is that they would have a positive relationship.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

friend o'

The first thing you said there -- "smartest guy in the class? Didn't see any sign of it." -- is one of the reasons I think he will succeed. Unlike a few other pros who feel a management spot should be handed to them, Yzerman's really worked at it. No sense of entitlement, there.

Obviously, he'll have to make some great hires (capologist), but he won't have to handle the business side. Vinik and the new CEO can do that.

I think he'll do very well.

4. friend of the friendless

Mr J,

Historic story of inside conflict when Y was playing. Y no Demers guy either. It's not appropriate to write about on this site.

Mr F,

I sell short of Y.

It will be interesting who gets hired in staff positions there. If he has contract time left in Det all current Det staffers will be off limits as a condition of his out.

o-<

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People forget how close the Wings were to trading Yzerman. The Wings had some big failures before going on to win the cup.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well Demers was fired 20 years ago after leading the Wings to (I believe) their last losing record as well as several early playoff blowouts, so Yzerman not getting along with Demers might actually be a point in his favor.

7. friend of the friendless

Mr Starman,

True as far as it goes ... worked out for Demeres (look for his ring). Doesn't get the Senate job without going to Mont.

o-<

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Please, let it work out better than the last time a Detroit sports icon tried the front office...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Slappy, wouldn't this guy be the last icon to jump to the front office? Although one could argue he hasn't had a great run. One could also argue he's not an icon (although he is a Hall of Famer).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yzerman and Hitch have worked pretty closely with the Canada stuff, any thoughts that Hitch may be his choice to coach?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I read that Gerard Gallant could be a top candidate. He was damaged goods after Columbus, but has redeemed himself with a great run in juniors (forget the team).

Another possible candidate is the Windsor Spitfires' coach (forget his name right now).

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bob Boughner is the Spits' coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted