1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steven Sotloff Beheading, Take 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WriteThinking, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Because the other thread was locked while I was in the middle of writing a post that I would still like to contribute, and have others consider, for whatever it's worth:

How about we get the outrage aimed back at the ISIS instead of the president(s)?

The faces of this situation belong to James Foley and Steven Sotloff, not Obama, Bush or the hooded idiots perpetuating this violence under the guise of caring about their country. Do not try to convince me the ISIS cares about its country or its people. It doesn't. It is nothing but a group of shock jocks, who, unfortunately, have no morals at all, so whatever anyone tries to do, they will be damned either way.

But I have a couple suggestions anyway. (You wanted suggestions, right?)

How about we start treating these ISIS bastards the way they treat others? You know, behead them, water-board them, do whatever to them. I don't care. And I actually have morals, so I'm saying a lot when I say this.

Or, I have a missionary friend who soon will be headed to Saudi Arabia -- God bless and protect him -- to carry the Christian message to Muslims there. Maybe his organization should start in Syria and Iraq instead. Count me among those who would hope that every person in those countries becomes a convert.

I'm sure others will laugh at these suggestions, but at this point, I think they're at least as good as any others that no one is offering.

I'm somebody who reads news accounts of on these groups, and I've bought books on my Kindle specifically related to the Middle East and Islam even though I have no personal interest, at all, in them, because I've nonetheless wanted to TRY to understand these people, and their lives, and the lives they demand of others.

For the most part, though, those books have gone unread. That's how distasteful I find the whole thing. I've got them sitting there waiting to be delved into, and I can't even get started.

Although I force myself to stomach reading news of the situation, I can't seem to get into anything more. It's like I want nothing to do with them, or it.

And, you know what? I don't blame myself.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice try, but no. Long timeout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.