1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Wynn's take on the world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 19, 2011.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The idea that "government doesn't know what to do with our money" is not a tenet of conservatism. Rather, the conservative tenet to which you refer is that allocative efficiency is inversely related to government's prominence as a driver of the economy. Put simply, the argument is that the free market maximizes the value or utility of scarce resources better than does government.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly. And, again, in a world without transaction costs, with strong property rights, and without information assymetry, the tenet is pretty much infallible.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Did all the servers at our national sarcasm detection center go down this morning?

4. Dick Whitman

It's Economics 101.

What is your specific quibble?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Our inert and slavish devotion to the Reaganite fantasm of a perfect "Free Market." A thing which, as you point out, has only ever existed as a hypothetical. In the meantime, the rich get richer but create no jobs.

Note, please, the qualifier "American."

6. Dick Whitman

I don't think a free market academian takes Reagan's perverted "free market" model seriously.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then why do American voters?

8. doctorquant

The idea that "government doesn't know what to do with our money" is not a tenet of American conservatism. That may be the way it comes across to you, but that's simply not true.

American conservatives NEVER have argued that government has no role to play in a free market. Rather, American conservatives' argument is that government's essential economic role is to foster a legal climate in which a free market is possible. American conservatives would further argue that as government moves beyond this role, allocative efficiency becomes more and more compromised.

9. Dick Whitman

Because politicians are better at messaging than academics.

10. doctorquant

Let me edit mine a bit, because it's usually a dangerous proposition to use "NEVER" in a political discussion. I am sure you can probably find some quote from some American conservative in which it is argued that the government can't do anything. My position is that such an argument would not represent the essential economic viewpoints of American conservatives.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On all of these economic threads, we see people advocating for American businesses to operate in a more "compassionate" -- for lack of a better word -- way.

They should hire more. They should pay better. They should pay more heed to the environment. They should pay more taxes. They shouldn't outsource jobs. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Now, wouldn't that just make U.S. companies less competitive in a global economy? And, wouldn't that do more long term harm to the job picture and our economy?

12. Dick Whitman

Milton Friedman visits China. He sees hundreds of workers digging with shovels. He's puzzled.

"Why not just use an excavator?" he asks his host.

"Because," the Chinese host explains, "these people need jobs. An excavator takes jobs away."

"Well then," Friedman says, "why not just have them dig with spoons then?"

YF, where we probably depart is that businesses should absolutely have to absorb their costs, i.e. externalities. And to address your concern, which is valid, we have to find ways to force other nations to do the same. Protective tariffs that nobody wants to talk about, for example.

Government spending has to add sustainable value to the economy. The WPA is a great example. The interstate highway system is another one. This is why I never understand why conservatives make fun of high-speed train or other infrastructure improvement ideas. These are things that the private sector won't undertake because of various collective action obstacles.

Draft saved Draft deleted