1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Williams: Phil Mick is a Prick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 15, 2008.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Why do we remember that person?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because the previous record was only 16.5 feet?

(too much?, but it still has nothing to do with Steve Williams)

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Just to show that news happens every day.
    We don't have to manufacture it.
    The Williams story sort of lept up into our laps this week.
    As did the Romo/Witten/Werder/T.O. story.
    Did Werder make that one up?
    Probably not.

And I said .. "not to threadjack"

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Slappy you post enough on this site to know that all other posts aren't going to be something you are immediately familiar with.

Though the majority involve things you "wrote the book on."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, I don't think I did, but OK...
    Just thought that was out of left field enough -- even for this place to prove a point

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I just find it hard to go a day without there being some kind of crazy story like Steve's in the news.
    The shoe thing today, with President Bush, you needn't make this stuff up.
    Even the L.Lohan & Samantha Ronson "story" (and that's a more well-known, but off-the-wall example)
    Crazy, unexpected stuff is there for you every day.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't think the Williams-Mickelson story is crazy or unexpected. It's mostly annoying.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I liken a caddy spouting off about a tour star to, well, Michael Jackson in pajamas for his court hearing.

Both stories are absurd, and both will get coverage.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Williams' leash with Tiger is unlimited unless he screws up something on the course that directly affects Tiger's game. Harassing photographers or needling Phil? Whatever. Doesn't mean a thing as far as chasing Nicklaus.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A few thoughts from the perspective of having covered a few majors:

1. I only deal with caddies if they are interesting people. Steve is a bodyguard, pure and simple. For most of his time with Tiger, he has either not been allowed to talk to the media, or didn't want (or we didn't give a rat's ass about talking to bullies). But Steve is getting a little frisky these days. He does an NBC gig for an off-season event. Then he gives two versions of the same Phil story to two New Zealand papers. This calling attention to himself is what got Fluff fired.

2. I like Phil. Actually, I try to like Phil. There are times when I think he's full of shit, and I'm far being being alone. He's the Eddie Haskell of the PGA Tour. But he wants to be liked so much by everyone, he doesn't blow off the media and signs more autographs than anyone. The feelings about Phil other players have related to me range from full-blown respect and awe (Rocco Mediate, for example) to thinking he's a bit of phony. Only one guy has openly expressed dislike for Phil (Vijay) and you have to consider the source. But no one else I know among Tour players of dislikes Phil. By the same token, none of the guys dislikes Tiger. However, many of them wouldn't piss on Stevie if he was on fire.

3. If I was Phil, I wouldn't have wasted my time responding to a caddie, even if he is Tiger's caddie. On the PGA Tour food chain. Phil is up there with Tiger, Vijay, Els, Garcia, Villegas, Kim, etc., and caddies are somewhere below the kid who shines shoes in the locker room. It's like being Tom Brady, and seeing yourself criticized by a high school J.V. coach in the Albany, Ga., weekly paper. Why would you give a rat's ass?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember Fluff getting a little chatty and filming commercials playing off his fame as Tiger's guy.

hondo, can you ever picture Tiger firing Williams?

Draft saved Draft deleted