1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeff.pearlman, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

I haven't posted here for a long time, but all this talk of the Rick Reilly-Dan Patrick swap makes me nostalgic for my favorite writer during my time at SI.

Hence, here's a link to Steve Rushin's blog.

http://www.steverushin.com/wordpress/

To me, he's still king.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Saw his site a while back. Enjoyed his recent piece on George Bush writing to him that appeared in Time, and is linked on his site.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Has he done any of those zany anagram columns lately?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I loved this entry, for at least a couple reasons...

Perfect
    September 4th, 2007

The other night I phoned my father — 1,300 miles away in Minneapolis — and he casually mentioned five minutes into our conversation that the Twins were beating the Royals 3-0 in the 7th. “It’s a meaningless game,” he acknowledged, “but there’s nothing else on.”

We spoke for ten more minutes about other things, and when I finally hung up the phone I saw on the ESPN ticker that the Twins had lost 9-5 to Kansas City. So I called my dad back and asked him how the Twins could possibly be up 3-0 when their game was evidently over and they had in fact lost. He replied, “They lost the first game of a doubleheader. I’m watching the second game. And now the Twins are up 5-0 in the eighth.”

Fair enough. But when I hung up the phone for the second time, the ticker said, to my astonishment, that Scott Baker of the Twins was throwing a perfect game through eight innings. So I called my dad back and said, “In two separate conversations about the ‘meaningless’ Twins game you’re watching, you didn’t think to mention that Baker is throwing a perfect game?”

There was a long pause on the other end of the line, after which my 73-year-old father — alone in his condo, half a continent away, sounding like a chastened child — said: “I didn’t want to jinx it.”

5. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Zeke....Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing. I just sent it to my father and my son. Rings so true.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It wasn't me, it was from Rushin's blog, but I agree with the sentiment.

Reminded me of lots of phone conversations with my dad.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Rushin had a back-page article on a recent issue of Time magazine.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well, now we know. Steve Rushin jinxed Scotty Baker's perfect game. Dick. :D

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm a charter member of the Rushin > Reilly group. I'm a tenth as disappointed to see Reilly leaving SI as I was when Rushin left. Really glad to be able to read him again ...

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I liked Rushin a lot when he told good tales in his columns, like the Scott Baker story above. I started straying away when he got more and more into wordplay, and pretty soon I would just look to see if I wanted to read him that week. I miss those good columns, though.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

On his blog, you can find the text of his Marquette commencement speech -- just perfectly done.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Just read the Marquette speech. Really nice. Thanks, Dave.

Here's a direct link: http://www.steverushin.com/news.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted