1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Perry weeps...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Saw them several times between 1979 and 1984. Always put on an excellent show.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Interesting article on Arnel and the new incarnation of Journey in GQ last month:

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_6818

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is a compelling argument for your forced sterilization as soon as possible.

4. Nice mention of the little-remembered Robert Fleischman, however.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't need to click the YouTube link to know it sucks. I trust BYH.

But this thread brought to mind a quote from Rock Star:

You know, I'm just a regular guy who grew up with the posters of these guys on my wall... and now I'm one of them! That's right, I'm standing here, living proof that if you work hard enough, and you want it bad enough... dreams do come true. So follow your dreams...

<insert vomiting sounds here>

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is one of those levels the fact that, in 200-fricking-8, Journey has a top-five album to begin with? That's just fucking sad whether the lead singer is the dude who did Feeling That Way, Steve Perry or some random Filipino.

I think it would be funny if Journey REALLY went back in time and reverted to the fusion sound they had during the early to mid 70s (or so I've read ... like I'm going to go listen to obscure Journey to find out).

Fans show up at the concert, in their black Journey Frontiers T-shirts, some with their kids, some reverentially carrying the Journey Colecovision game Jonathan Cain signed for them in exchange for a baggie of coke back in '84, ready to re-live that good-time 80s vibe.

Then Neil Schon (who played on Santana's classic recordings, he's not much younger than my dad) breaks into a 10-minute wa-wa riff accompanied by some downbeat clavinet and jazzbo drum fills. Ten minutes in, they test the mellotron waters with the fiddler from Jefferson Airplane jumps in for a guest shot. Then Schon returns with a blistering solo that would do John McLaughlin proud, but which leaves fans terrified.

By then, the fans are pulling hair out of their bloody scalps, wondering why God smoted them, and rueing the decision to bring some special doobage when they were sure Journey would play Open Arms during the encore.

Hilarious. I'll go get the scissors. :D

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm a Journey fan from way back; even when I started listening to harder-edged stuff I still couldn't get them out of my system.

I was just as skeptical as everyone else when I heard of them hiring the Filipino guy and wasn't sure if I'd get the new CD. But then my sister gave me a Wal-Mart gift card for my birthday, so I decided to go pick it up, figuring if I didn't like it, it wasn't on my dime.

I've listened to the CD a couple of time now and, you know what, I really like it. It is was it is: typical mid-tempo, kinda syrupry rock sung by a guy with a pretty good voice. And the greatest hits CD isn't too bad either, they put in a few new wrinkles in the songs here and there. So sue me, but hey, ain't nobody else listening to my music player, anyway.

P.S. If anyone is truly offended at me buying the CD, then I want you to know that with the rest of my gift-card balance I got the Shawsank Redemption DVD for $9, so I hope that evens it out.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Old:

New:

No fucking contest. Go away karaoke winners. All of you. From idols to youtube stars. Beat it.

PS - note the fucking AWESOME wardrobe in the first link. Wow.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Weeps?

Maybe it's because he's a little bitch, according to the band's former manager.

http://members.cox.net/mrcarty/

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Similar comparison:

Old:

Relatively new:

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Steve Perry should have thought about getting that hip replacement surgery to go on tour with Journey. Then Journey and its abject loosers loyal fans wouldn't be in this mess.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No way.

I want my son to marry BYH's daughter.

Or vice versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted