1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Steve Moyer < 1%"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the annual Bill James baseball handbook. It is a terrific companion to the season, and not because it's a sabermetrics polemic like some might expect. Instead, I love some of the stats that you wouldn't get anywhere else, stats that even skeptics like Azrael and the late, great spnited would embrace. For example, there are base running stats - you can quickly look up how frequently a runner moves from first to third or second to home on a single. It also has the average fastball velocity by pitchers - as well as how frequently they throw each pitch.

Anyway, in one section, James has a series of charts giving the percentage chance of various players reaching milestones. For example, there is a chart of what pitchers are most likely to reach 300 wins (Halladay and Sabathia are at the top), and who is most likely to reach 500, 600, 763 home runs (Pujols - remember, this is published before the season).

The longest chart is the 3,000 hits probability chart. The usual names are on there. Johnny Damon. A-Rod. Miguel Cabrera. The last name on the list, however, gave me some pause: "Steve Moyer <1%."

I had never heard of Steve Moyer, so I flipped to the player section, wondering if this was some prospect I had overlooked. Then I wondered if perhaps they meant Jamie Moyer, and were making some joke about his longevity.

I took to Google. It turns out that Steve Moyer is the CEO of Baseball Info Solutions, James's stats and publishing partner.

My question: I know this is not exactly journalism, but is it still inappropriate to throw that kind of inside joke into a guide like this? Does it sacrifice credibility when people are looking for a reason to discount sabermetrics as it is?

Thoughts? I'm on the fence.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He clearly has a 2% chance of making it.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's hilarious.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Bill James has always had tongue-in-cheek remarks about various things in his Abstracts / Annuals.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think it's funny too. And it's not factually wrong.

I don't think anyone will be turned against sabermetrics because of a little joke like this.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the issue here.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Maybe it means he's prospecting with an outlaw motorcycle club.

8. Dick Whitman

Well, if we did this in newspaper agate, that would be a problem, right?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like the book has a price tag on it, and enough people vote nay by not paying the price, the joke was a bad idea. If not, it was fine.

But truth is an absolute defense.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This. Moyer DOES have a less than one percent chance of doing it.

If you put in agate that your friend hit a home run for the Reds, that's wrong because he didn't do it.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Steve Moyer's walks count as .8 hits

12. Dick Whitman

I notice the weirdest shit.

For example, I noticed that on all Topps baseball cards this year, the "2B" heading is repeated twice (so no triple heading - or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, both extra base-hit headings are the same). And I noticed that this is only for standard vertical cards, and that the horizontal cards are printed correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted