1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Kerr: 'I lied'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it is not. NBA COmmissioner LeBron James should suspend him for at least 2 games, 3 if neccessary

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Steve Kerr is a fraud, but not the criminal kind.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Steve Kerr used you, media. You were his plaything.

Kerr knew it would be reported that there were no lineup changes. He knew the Cavs would learn this. He knew this would throw them off the scent of adusting against his adjustments.

Like he cared about a Twitter firestorm if he hedged or held out on who was starting. He wouldn't be involved in it.

He used the media to completely keep the Cavs in the dark.

As he said, they don't give our the trophy for most moral. America needs to learn a lesson from this.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Believe most of America already knows this. And has for centuries.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There aren't enough negative consequences involved in Kerr telling a lie. It wasn't worth it for him to tell the truth.

This is a simple fix. We need a law, with significant negative consequences, that makes it a crime to lie to the media.

I'm sure our lawmakers would support this.

(Well, in reality, they might, so long as they exempt themselves.)

6. TheSportsPredictor

Lying to the media is a party platform.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because the media put him in the position of asking for information he did not want to accurately provide and was under no obligation to accurately provide, because it affected a competition that had not taken place.

Of course, "No comment" would have been the morally superior answer. No lie there.

But if the media asks him, say, "If tonight's game comes down to a final possession, what play are you going to run?" only an idiot would expect a truthful reply. Once you begin to ask about strategy and personnel decisions BEFORE a competition (as opposed to after), all answers need to be taken in that perspective: From a competitor trying to win a competition.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is what I wanted, from the person I wanted it from.

9. TheSportsPredictor

No it wouldn't, because Steve Kerr is under no moral obligation to give the correct information. His obligation is to his team. If he gives out strategic information that could help the opponent, he is hurting his team. That's a bigger moral failure than telling that Iguadola was going to start. "No comment" is a clear indication that something will change in the starting lineup.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You already have.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There wasn't an indication that this was the case, but I wondered how the calculus of the student loan guy would change if he was blowing off his loans in order to, say, afford a roof over his childrens' heads. Or to pay for their schooling.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted