1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Czaban radio show cancelled By FSR... SAS replaces... Czabe to SNR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 7, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Steve Czaban radio show cancelled on Fox Sports Radio. SAS to replace.

I'd say so. The "toned down" version is tiny.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fox canned Tony Bruno for Van Earl "I love the sound of my own voice" Wright. Nothing they do surprises me. I hope Czaban ends up on sirius.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Still pissed.

Steven A Fucking Smith.

Jesus.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Stephen A. Smith To Fox Sports Radio?

Why the love for Czabe? Easy. The top story is talked about, Steve, Scott, and Solly give their opinions, whether it's sophomoric or intelligent. Czabe loves to talk about his obsession with gambling and Vegas, the funny ass Wednesday segments (from Mancrush to Ask the Commissioner [Stern]), TMBADQ, and Lock It Up.

Simply put, for me, it's was the content and breadth of how much info they go into when discussing each story and the fact that many listeners see Czabe as the goofy, macho, know-it-all sports guy down the street that you would pound a case of Leinekugels with all day long.

This one hurts. Really hurts. I never forgave FSR for dumping Bruno, though he's returned, and Siciliano and Krystal being jettisoned in January.

I can understand that FSR like to change things up after several years of consistency, but after their January purge, JT and Czabe were their anchors. FSR is notorious for getting rid of great talent and keeping mediocre, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

The thought that JT and Tomm Looney will still be on FSR is astounding. Thank goodness I've archived all of Steve's shows since I've gotten broadband.

Methinks FSR had their eye on SAS once he left ESPN and his non-compete clause ran out. I wouldn't have minded for SAS to replace Meyers and Hartman or Petros and Money. Meyers and Hartman is the weak link, IMO, and there was no way that they were going to dump that damn loud-mouth Papadakis and Matt Smith after only about 9 months on the national air.

I hate it. I hate this move.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'll fess up and admit it: I listen to Myers, Hartman and "Feeling You" Vic The Brick almost daily.

Not because it's smart or funny, but because of its train wreck value. The show is so bad it's good. Today, they were arguing over which Tiger skank -- their words, not mine -- was hottest. If nothing else, it was entertaining, which is all I want out of my sports talk radio.

Besides, where else on the dial can your hear Gregg Doyel being called "the voice of reason?"

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You're a bigger man than I am if you can stomach hearing Vic the Brick "FEELING YOU!"

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Czabe was that guy down the street. He interviewed Tiger a year or two ago before Tiger's D.C. tournament, one of those throwaway big-name-going-through-the-motions interviews that all the national shows do. Czabe knew it, played the part, then when it was over and Tiger was gone, joked that he was going to bronze the microphone like a fanboi. Maybe you had to hear it, it was just perfect. Mike & Mike would have been fawning before, during and after.

I'm with you, this one really bugs me.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

10 pm to 1 a.m. Eastern. They bumped JT the Brick to the overnight slot a few months ago.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Those days when I'm up early enough, like tomorrow, I like listening to Czabe. They seem to enjoy what they're doing.
    But shitcanning him for Screamin A? Give me a fuckin break.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's really only a handful of national radio hosts whose shows have a different sound from all the other prattle:
    1) Jim Rome (love him or hate him, his show is far, far different than anything else)
    2) Andrew Sicilliano (when he had a national show)
    3) Steve Czaban (just the right mix of goofy segments that invite the audience to participate, few boring interviews, and great humor, all without being the typical annoying call-in show).
    See a trend here, FSR?

I didn't hear any of his show this morning. Did he mention the cancellation on air today?

11. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

This is like trading a diamond for a turd, or something like that.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hell, shitcanning the "Boom Goes the Dynamite" guy for Screamin A would be a bad move.

Draft saved Draft deleted