1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Cavendish begs Gannett to sell Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GidalKaiser, Aug 14, 2013.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to say anything originally, but now that Henry did... I feel the same way if Gore bought the paper, although he does have deep pockets.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Gore buying it? The paper's somewhat liberal as is. Your political feelings may be a little unreasonable wihen you think Gannett -- fucking Gannett -- ownership is a better option than some other option.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Al Gore, or the Koch brothers, either one, would be better options than Gannett.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The way Gannett has centralized and outsourced operations, presses, copy desks, customer service at some places - I don't know if many of their individual papers have much worth at all. The next owner in some cases will have to spend more to make a newspaper function as a standalone than he would on the purchase itself.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And let's bring back the Nashville Banner while we're at it.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It will be interesting to see what Gannett does going forward. Do they continue with a cost-cutting strategy? Do they try to add value to the product to increase revenue? Do they shift their efforts away from newspapers to something else? Do they throw in the towel and do a massive sell-off (like Knight-Ridder)?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with politics, Dooley. I happen to think there are other people with deep pockets out there that would do a better job. I know Warren Buffett would likely, but he doesn't invest in bigger metro dailies and I doubt he would swoop in and buy Gannett's print products lock, stock and barrel.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I miss Peaches.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got a dollar that says Gannett sells its Middle Tennessee group in the next year.

Gannett owns every single daily newspaper, and every weekly paper from the Tennessee River to the Cumberland Plateau with the exception of the Nashville Scene and the little daily in Cookeville.

Throw Jackson in the deal, and you'd have a huge area, that would dominate local news and advertising.

These new newspaper barons are looking for dominant news franchises and the Middle Tennessee group is it, they're dominant by default.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lebanon Democrat, in my mom's hometown. Owned by Sandusky (!) Newspapers.

Draft saved Draft deleted