1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steubenville rape case goes national

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there were many other stupid nights. This one they were just dumb enough to videotape and Tweet. You don't get the nickname "Rape Crew" from one night.

Napalm that dump of a town.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For such a "storied" program, if you dig deeper you don't see a lot of D1 players or for that matter many big time NFL players. Also 3 state championships in the past 35 years. Not exactly a dynasty.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boom: I think you have a good point.

Clearly, like many towns, this is one that supports its high school team a great deal, but it's not one of the top programs in America, no.

4. tmr

tmr Member

It's one of the winningest in Ohio, but no, there's not a lot of D-I talent there. It's a small town. It's more of a "we win because we're tougher than you" type of program.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's the rest of the league like? Is talent fairly equal among the schools?

6. tmr

tmr Member

That's the interesting part. Big Red is basically independent. The Ohio Valley Athletic Conference is enormous, it's Ohio and W. Va., but there's no real league competition in football. Big Red rarely plays more than one or two local teams. They used to play a lot of crappy Akron-Cleveland-Youngstown inner city schools, which never helped much with playoff points. They also play a bunch of out of state schools, for some reason, like a Buffalo one, Baltimore one, Toronto, Canada.

But to answer your question, not a lot of local "talent."

7. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Steubenville coach gets 2-year contract extension.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/steubenville-football-coach-contract/64435/

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Least surprising news ever.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It surprised me. I was expecting they would finally do the right thing.

The man should be arrested or fired. He's a mandated reporter, and his students told him they committed a sex crime.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Outside of this whole rape mess, just what in the hell is director of administrative services and is that a necessary position in a shithole like Steubenville?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And threatening the life of a reporter, and her family. I'm pretty sure that's a crime. Guy is a common thug, nothing more.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like it'll go national again.

Draft saved Draft deleted