1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steubenville rape case goes national

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 31, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How does he still have a job for not only threatening the reporter but his family as well?
    Looks like the goombah mentality in Stuebenville lingers on. The city used to be mobbed up pretty heavily.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I would say that Steubenville, Ohio is fairly representative of the Midwest, especially the "Rust Belt" that includes Warren, Ohio and the Pittsburgh area. While that may be "nowhere" to some people, there are a whole lot of people that live in similar towns with similar attitudes. It is far from "Nowheresville."
    As for the coach threatening a New York Times reporter, that is far from insignificant. In fact, it is quite representative of the problem that overlies most towns like this (sports heroes treated as "above the law" or put on pedestals).

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Reno hasn't been criticized in years, maybe decades. His view of reality has to be seriously skewed. Local paper is complete fluff, TV is useless. The principal is a former football assistant coach and a complete crony. The superintendent the former principal. Reno is just a myopic small-town coach with delusions of grandeur. I really can't believe the local paper didn't do a story on him threatening the Times reporter.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A decent sports writer gets threatened by coaches on a weekly basis. Just sayin.'

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Due to the media attention and public outcry, the city has created a website informing people of the status of the case.

http://steubenvillefacts.squarespace.com/

6. There are rumors Reno may announce his retirement as early as Monday.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horseshit. I covered high school sports for the first 12 years of my career and never had a coach threaten me or my family. Yell, cuss, call my editor ... sure. But I'd like to get some solid proof that a "decent" sports writer gets threatened by coaches on a weekly basis.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Guilty:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/17/justice/ohio-steubenville-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Steubenville, Ohio (CNN) -- Two Steubenville high school football players accused of raping an allegedly drunk 16-year-old girl were found guilty by an Ohio judge on Sunday.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounded like the defense didn't have shit to say. They called witnesses to testify that she was drunk and liked to drink -- duh.

But if they hadn't made the video and taken the pictures, that character assassination probably would have worked. The case probably wouldn't even have gotten to court.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Is it usual to have court proceedings on Sunday in Ohio?

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Out-of-town judge (Cincinnati). I remember reading that they decided to work through the weekend to accommodate his schedule.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Wetzel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--steubenville-high-school-football-players-found-guilty-of-raping-16-year-old-girl-164129528.html

Draft saved Draft deleted