1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

steroid testing in HS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Breakyoself, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Florida put in a plan to start doing this next year for weightlifting, baseball and football. What other states are testing, or do they have other plans to deal with it. I know NJ tests. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been discussed before.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

texas just passed a bill; cant remember if it's everything or just football

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Every state should have testing. I've seen quite a few players over the years, who seem to gain way too much muscle over an offseason from one year to the next that it makes you wonder if they didn't have a little boost.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you look like a drug dealer. i think a cop and his dog should search your house every week.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who's?
    Going to Pay?
    For It?

??? ::) ???

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Have each school pay for it. They would turn around and add it to the activity fee they charge each athlete to play.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'm busted. I apologize for this, but you see I couldn't make a enough money as a sportswriter and several kids in our area need to get bigger so I...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you missed the point.

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

In Ohio, it's up to each individual school. Most of the testing in our area is of drivers and participants in extra-curricular activities, and it's for recreational drugs and not performance enhancers (we were told that would be too expensive).

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

In Kentucky, it's up to each school.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What activity fee? The only sport I've ever heard of that costs anything just to play is hockey, because of ice time.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My high school growing up had fees for ASB cards. The money was put toward athletics.
    In Idaho, a lot of the small schools were going to "pay to play" where athletes had to pay $50 or more per sport they wanted to play. There were discounts for multiple sport athletes and multiple athletes in a family. The districts cited rising travel costs as the reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted