1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stern block Chris Paul trade to Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And as a result of Stern's move, (a) he is now untradeable, killing the Hornets, and (b) he almost assuredly will not report tomorrow.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Paul did not decide where he wanted to go before he could leave. He stated the facts as he saw them, he made it known where he would sign an extension. He never said he would not play hard wherever he was traded. So the risks for the possible destinations were known. That's all any franchise was entitled to (well actually even more.) Paul earned the right to say where he wanted to go WHEN THE TIME WAS UP.

Stern should be smart enough to understand that; somehow he blew it this time.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just call the players bluff if you don't like it. Think Cuban/Mavs are happy that Chandler gets to walk without any compensation? What's the market like for Chandler now?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Perfectly said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvS2VqtI9WiD7hAPKypyuTQ5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_lakers_hornets_nba_120811

“We were all told by the league he was a trade-able player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now, they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do it his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put into make that deal.

“How do the Lakers explain this to Odom? How does Houston deal with the guys it just tried to trade? Scola and Martin are going to be pissed at them, and who knows how long that takes to get over? Explain to me how the league kills this Pau Gasol deal, but allows Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol?

“To me, this makes the league feel like it’s rigged, that Stern just does whatever Stern wants to do. He’s messed up the competitive balance of this league a lot worse by killing the deal, because you’ve completely destroyed the planning that New Orleans, Houston did and left them in shambles over this. I’ve never been so discouraged about this league, never so down.

“I mean, come on: Chris Paul is leaving New Orleans in 66 games. He’s gone. And what’s Dell Demps, and that franchise, going to have to show for it?”

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I could sit here and, given the time, name hundreds of All-Star-level players in the four major sports who expressed a desire to play elsewhere, and often in a specific place, a year before they became free agents -- and they weren't traded. I really don't understand what the issue is on that front. The trade didn't work out. I certainly don't see how Stern needs to be compared to a plantation owner. Maybe a trade will happen at the deadline or maybe it won't, but just because Chris Paul decided he likes Los Angeles doesn't mean Chris Paul goes to Los Angeles, any more than just because Randy Johnson liked the Dodgers in 2005 meant Randy Johnson went to the Dodgers.

The league owns the Hornets. That's the issue. Whoever gets the deal gets better. The league is deciding winners and losers. Period.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Hornets have a GM. His job is to manage the team. He made a deal that was in the best interests of the Hornets. That trade was blocked because a bunch of other owners whined. As a result, the Hornets are screwed.

It's not true to say "the trade didn't work out." The trade was blocked by the commissioner because owners cried that they didn't like it.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Too darn bad. It's not their fault your stupid sport makes everyone but a few superstar players meaningless.

8. LongTimeListener

And they didn't like it because the league is supposed to be an arbiter of trade fairness and it is instead one of the interested parties. That is just blatant black-letter conflict of interest.

What if the Expos had gotten the "best offer" for Vlad Guerrero from the Yankees in 2003?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. And now it's going to leave the Hornets with nothing in exchange for Paul. Because -- surprise -- Paul will decide where he wants to play after this season. Unless the Mafia crime boss vetoes any contract he agrees to unless it meets the teams he approves or the whining that will come from the other owners.

This is a trade that is a) within the rules and b) agreed to among the basketball people of the teams. There is zero justification to veto it other than to shape the rules as you want them shaped as you go along.

The league is more of a sham. Only thing missing is Tim Donaghy writing the news release saying it's unfair and the trade is voided.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Dan Gilbert's email to Stern:

(Sorry, I see D3 posted a link above...)

12. LongTimeListener

Dan Gilbert makes one hell of a case if those cap numbers are correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted