1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Colbert is amazing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now if Gallagher appeared in front of Congress to talk about this:

"I would love to end my testimony the way I do any conversation -- by smashing the shit out of watermelons. But farms are shutting down -- and farm jobs are going overseas -- because the deplorable conditions of migrant farm work and outdated illegal immigration policies are diminishing the supply of American watermelons that I can use. So please, Rep. Conyers, you can take the plastic sheeting off now."

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I haven't posted it yet because I haven't found the complete comment. He quoted Matthew 25:40 "least of my brothers" and said that the migrant workers sure do appear like the least of his brothers. That's been left out of every report I've seen.

His final answer was beautiful and eloquent and obviously delivered out of character, yet it could completely fit in with everything else he said. Anyone who thinks that made a mockery out of Congress really is stubborn and not interested in seeing past what they already think they know.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Next week Bruno is going to testify about repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Don't forget Steve King's comedy about how if food security is so important, how have the Eskimos gotten by for so long without growing their own fruits and vegetables.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd like Liam and Noel Gallagher to testify about domestic violence

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So he has to bring religion into it? I don't need Stephen Colbert judging me. He should mind his own damn business. Nutjob.

7. Mizzougrad96

This is what pisses me off...

Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren of California, in her opening statement, commended Colbert for using his celebrity to draw media attention to the hearing.

"Maybe it was [President Clinton's] impeachment? But it's been a long time since we've had this kind of coverage," Lofgren said.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Colbert saying that many immigrant farm laborers work in poor conditions or pointing out that Americans would not do that kind of labor for the existing wages - it's not moving the debate forward at all not on iota.
    He hurts the position because it becomes cavalier or associated with being cavalier.
    Just like the brown-roundup law in Arizona hurts another position on the issue.
    Both sides of the immigration reform issue have real, salient points that should be addressed. Celebrity stunts and pseudo-fascist, reactionary lawmaking detract from the discussion rather than enhance it.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Of course the self-obsessed buffoons on the subcommittee didn't like it. They didn't like SC's act at the WHCA dinner, and it's helped make his career.
    If the Republicans want to make an issue of this in the campaign, let them. Bet it backfires. (I'm sure a decent number of Republicans enjoy his show, too). Let them bring Yakov Smirnoff to the next hearing if they'd like.
    The best example of something that played much differently in the room than it did on TV: Howard Dean after the Iowa caucuses.

10. Mizzougrad96

Republicans should love his show. The guy who asked him to leave was out of line. Whether I agree with the decision to have Colbert testify or not, he was either invited or directed to come testify. He did nothing wrong.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

" I, like most members of Congress, haven't read this bill"

Congress makes Mahmoud Ahmadinejad look more reasonable every day.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Some buffoon named Judge Napolitano on Fox News is asking if there should be an investigation into Colbert for lying to Congress.

Draft saved Draft deleted